9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 5:17 PM by BabaG1

custom sequence?

BabaG1

used to be a premiere user and thinking of returning from final cut after all the hooplah

over fcp x. i like that i can open fcp xml files. question, though. i have a lot of material

in a custom format. when i went to look at setting up a new sequence, all i saw were

presets. is there a way to make a custom sequence? or, maybe, modify an existing

preset to make it a custom one?

thanks,

BabaG

• 1. Re: custom sequence?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

In the New Sequence dialog, click on the Settings tab. Change the Editing Mode to Custom, and then you can change whatever parameters you like. If it's a setting you'll want to reuse, save it as a custom preset so you can go back to it quickly.

• 2. Re: custom sequence?
            BabaG1 Level 1

thanks. i'll look at that when i get into the studio.

• 3. Re: custom sequence?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Another quick shortcut, just in case you want your sequence to match your footage parameters, is to simply drag a clip to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project panel. This is similar to creating a new comp from a footage item in After Effects, if you're familiar with that process. The sequence created will match the footage's frame size, frame rate, field order, etc.

• 4. Re: custom sequence?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's a video with the information that Colin gave you, plus some more basics:

How do I choose the right sequence settings?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: custom sequence?
                  BabaG1 Level 1

thanks for all the options. wow. that was cumbersome, though. i found

i had to create a new project in order to get to a place where i could

make my custom settings and still get a 'save preset' button. while i

could drag footage to the create new item button and get a new

sequence with matching settings, that setup did not appear in the

presets list, nor did it have a 'save preset' button. only way i could get

the ability to define all of the parameters AND save it as a custom

preset was to start a dummy project which i then have to delete. am

i missing something here? it's got to be simpler than that. whatever

happened to the idea of duplicating a preset and then modifying it?

thanks again,

BabaG

• 6. Re: custom sequence?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    while i could drag footage to the create new item button and get a new

sequence with matching settings, that setup did not appear in the

presets list, nor did it have a 'save preset' button.

Right, that's just a quick shortcut to setup a sequence with little fuss. Personally, I rarely use it because it sometimes does weird things. I was just offering that as a quick solution if you knew you wanted your sequence to match your footage--which, in general, is what that shortcut does.

only way i could get the ability to define all of the parameters AND save it as a custom

preset was to start a dummy project which i then have to delete. am

i missing something here? it's got to be simpler than that. whatever

happened to the idea of duplicating a preset and then modifying it?

There's no need to create a new project to create a new sequence or sequence preset, so I'm confused by that suggestion. A project by itself is totally generic--it has no specific properties. A project can contain multiple sequences of varying types; you can either use the shortcut above to create one or the File > New > Sequence command. When you do the latter, you can either select a preset and use it as-is, or you can select a preset and switch to the Settings tab--this is essentially duplicating the preset and modifying it.

If you leave it on the editing mode that was active when you selected the preset, you might be locked into some parameters; for example, selecting a DV preset locks you into specific frame sizes, frame rates, and preview file codecs. However, if you change the editing mode to "Custom," all parameters are editable; if you selected a preset to begin with that is close to what you want, all those fields will remain as they were set, so you only have to modify the ones you need. You can also customize the number and type of tracks you need on the Tracks tab. When done--and especially if this is something you'll use again--click Save Preset and give it a name and any details you want. This will then be available in the Custom presets folder the next time you use File > New > Sequence.

It sounds way more complicated than it is; just give it a try based on the above, and if something doesn't make sense, post back.

• 7. Re: custom sequence?
                      BabaG1 Level 1

thanks again. starting to get things. two things, though. first,

when i start to create a new sequence, i have a tab that i

think is what you are referring to as 'settings.' mine says

'general,' though. is this correct or am i in the wrong place?

second, there is an 'editing mode' drop down in that tab,

which is why i think we may just be using different names

for the same 'settings' tab. under the drop down for 'editing

mode' that i have here, i have no 'custom' setting. i have

gotten at settings, though, by selecting 'desktop.'

thanks,

BabaG

• 8. Re: custom sequence?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah--you're using CS5, and I was referring to CS5.5. We so need version badges on this forum!

But yes, you have it:

General (CS5) = Settings (CS5.5)

Desktop (CS5) = Custom (CS5.5)

Everything else--at least so far as creating a sequence--should be the same. Follow the above, using those translations and you'll be able to set up a sequence as you need.

• 9. Re: custom sequence?
                          BabaG1 Level 1

thanks!