7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 3:28 PM by jasonvp

Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE

Steezy46

Hey guys, just wondering your thoughts on running PP and AE with an ATI card like the XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5? Will it benefit my system in any way and how?

Thanks for any feedback!

• 1. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No, any $ 30 display card will do just as well. If you want to benefit from CS5+ you NEED a nVidia card with at least 1 GB VRAM. Something like the GTX 460+.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
            Steezy46 Level 1

when you say "benefit" what exactly do you mean?

Also will an ATI card enable MPE in PP?

• 3. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
              jasonvp Level 3

Steezy46 wrote:

when you say "benefit" what exactly do you mean?

MPE runs independent of the video card type you're using.  Whether MPE runs in hardware accelerated mode or not is very much dependent on which nVidia card you're using.  At this point, nothing from ATI will enable MPE in hardware mode.

I think that's what Harm meant when he used the "benefit" word.

jas

• 4. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
                RjL190365 Level 4

Steezy46 wrote:

MPE has both a GPU-accelerated mode and a software-only mode. Unfortunately, the GPU-accelerated mode can be used only with compatible Nvidia CUDA CPUs. If your system has an AMD (formerly ATi) GPU, CS5.x will be stuck in MPE's software-only mode (at least until Adobe releases an update that enables OpenCL support in addition to CUDA support).

• 5. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
                  Steezy46 Level 1

Sorry I'm new at this, appreciate all your guys help.

So, let me see if I understnad this correctly: At this point in time, using an ATI card would not improve performance in PP in any way at all? So it would be as if I didn't even have a GPU installed? Is that correct?

• 6. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
                    jasonvp Level 3

Steezy46 wrote:

So it would be as if I didn't even have a GPU installed? Is that correct?

You won't be able to take advantage of any of the hardware acceleration offered within PPro.  Your GPU will continue to function and provide generic acceleration that it would to any other application.  But nothing you'll likely notice.

jas

• 7. Re: Thoughts on ATI Cards running PP and AE
                      lasvideo Level 4

Steezy, I am using a ATI Radeon 3875 card. My workflow necessitates using the Kona 3 hardware. In my case buying a CUDA card is a waste of money since PrP will use one or the other, but not both. Since I need to QC on an external monitor, need the ability to capture from archived tapes,  need to output to HD tape and provide a client monitor,  Kona is the way to go for me.  AJA just released new drivers to allow Kona to provide some of the "benefits" that the CUDA cards currently provide. My system seems to work just fine, although highly compressed files (i.e. h.264) seem to slow things down a little.