11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2011 8:40 PM by John Hawkinson

Roman font printing as Italic

KarenD95835

I have just installed a new printer (HP CP4525dn), and an InDesign CS5 document that printed fine from my old HP 1320 now is printing all the Times New Roman Regular text as Italic.  Other InDesign documents are printing fine, as are documents in Word, etc. But the document(s) I am having problems with are a set of documents in a Book, 400 pages completed so far, another 1,000 or more to go, so this is a serious problem.  I have double-checked the styles to be sure they are correct. I've run a "package" report, which showed no font problems. I've pre-flighted the entire book. I've checked for duplicate fonts (and removed the ones I found). The font in question is Times New Roman, Open Type. Any ideas what to do next?

• 1. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Operating system? Version of InDesign (7.0.4?)?

Do you have multiple fonts of the same name installed on your system?

• 2. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
            KarenD95835 Level 1

Oops, sorry. Mac OS 10.6.7, InDesign 7.04.  I've just gone through all the fonts on my system and eliminated duplicates. The Times New Roman font was in my User font folder, I moved it to the main Library Font folder, but problem still persists.  I deleted all the other fonts that had "Times" in the name, except required System fonts in the System Font folder, named Times LT MM, Times.dfont, and TimesLTMM. Tried again, problem persists.

• 3. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Just to be perfectly clear, if you open Font Book, there are no yellow exclamation points next to any font names?

It is technically possible to download fonts to printers and have them stored in semi-permanent storage. Is it possible that has been done with your printer, perhaps without your knowledge? Most HP printers can print a test page (from the front-panel controls) that show the fonts available to the printer, I would try that.

Have you tried printing from another machine to the same printer? If you export to PDF and print that PDF, do you see the same problem?

• 4. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                KarenD95835 Level 1

There are no yellow triangles in Font Book. There were earlier, but I resolved those issues before posting here, and the problem persisted.

I have the option to print two font pages: one is PCL fonts and the other is PS fonts. On the PCL list, labeled "Internal Scalable and Bitmapped Fonts" positions "Internal" 70 thru 73 have Times Roman, Times Bold, Times Italic, and Times Bold Italic.  On the PS list, Positions "Internal" 75 thru 78 have the same four Times listed on the PCL list, but positions 79 thru 82 have the four Times New Roman fonts, which is what my document uses.

Now here is the confusing part. When I exported a page to PDF from InDesign, it came out two up on the page, both the one I designated and the one following it. When I printed that PDF the fonts are correct, but it is printing two-up on the page; that is, two little pages side by side on a landscape 8.5 x 11 page. I'm digging thru both the printer dialog and the InDesign Print Dialog box options to see if I can figure out the two-up thing, but at least the fonts printed correctly.

I hope this makes sense. 

I'm going to send one of the files to my laptop and try printing from that next. BRB.

• 5. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  On the PS list, Positions "Internal" 75 thru 78 have the same four Times listed on the PCL list, but positions 79 thru 82 have the four Times New Roman fonts, which is what my document uses.

Well, it sounds like this is thoroughly consistent with your what you see. Your printer has its own set of Times New Roman postscript fonts, and they apparently cause a problem. Perhaps you should try to discern whether they are factory-installed or added and whether they are removable.

Are you exporting your PDF with File > Export? Rather than some form of printing? You should be.

You also don't mention what program you're viewing the PDF in...

• 6. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                    KarenD95835 Level 1

Yes, I used File > Export to create the PDF.

I'm viewing the PDF in Acrobat Pro 9.4.4.

Oops, I can't print from my laptop, I haven't installed the CS5 upgrade on it, so I don't have another computer available to print this document from. But it does seem to be an InDesign/font conflict problem because everything I print from other programs prints fine. And anything I print from InDesign using other fonts prints fine as well. 

• 7. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Mess around with Print > Graphics > Fonts:, in particular the

"Download PPD Fonts" checkbox?

• 8. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                        KarenD95835 Level 1

BINGO!!  Checked the box and everything works!  I'd send you a bottle of champagne if I could ... happy camper here! 

• 9. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Great diagnosis, John.

Here's the reason it worked, quoted from the recently released Adobe Creative Suite 5/5.5 Print Guide:

"Use the option to Download PPD Fonts to ensure that fonts used in creating the document are used for imaging, rather than fonts resident on the imaging device. This can resolve font version conflicts for common fonts, such as Helvetica and Times. "

I think it forces a same-named font used in the document to download to the printer and be used, even if that same font already exists on the printer's RIP.

• 10. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Indeed, though a step removed from the RIP. (Which is the Raster Image

Processor, for those not in the know -- the device that translates

postscript and fonts and whatnot into actual pixels that can be used

to drive the laser and other mechanicals)

Without the box checked, it asks the PPD file what fonts the printer

is known to have, and skips downloading them. But PPD files are not

always right, so the distinction can matter. [indeed, PPD files are

easily edited.]]

It's a bit hard to imagine the printer actually has an incorrect

variant of Times New Roman, though. But I'm hard-pressed to think of

any better explanation!

Perhaps it is worth looking at the postscript code sent to the printer

to determine if this is an InDesign bug or a printer bug... I dunno if

it is worth the effort...

• 11. Re: Roman font printing as Italic
                              KarenD95835 Level 1

Now you are getting way beyond me. MANY years ago when we got that first HP Laser printer and used the original Microsoft Word, I knew how to edit PPD files ... but it is much too complicated for my addled brain now.  I manage to muddle through producing an annual 1400-page document in InDesign, so I'm fairly adept at basic page layout, InDesign books, and dealing with varying formats of text, graphics, and equations from worldwide authors, but that's as far as it goes. I understand the basic concepts of RIPping, raster, vector, Postscript, TrueType, OpenType, etc., but I wouldn't even know where or how to begin to look at a postscript file ... sorry ...