12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 10:09 AM by John T Smith

P E 9, computer turns off during export

KSTodd04

I was able to export 1 short clip, but tried creating a

series of clips into a movie and when I try to export to

the computer file for playback, or burn it to DVD, it gets to 7% then the computer shuts off. There should be enough memory on my computer, 2g available. Any ideas??

Thanks

• 1. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum

This is a serious issue. I urge you to look over this ARTICLE.

Once you have addressed the BSOD (even if you did not see it), then look over this ARTICLE. Though the first article is linked in this one, that is where I would start. If that does not help, then the other links in this article should.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If nothing in those two articles, and their links, helps, then see this ARTICLE, for how to furnish more info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
              KSTodd04 Level 1

Thanks Bill.

Otherwise my computer is working fine. I'm not a very technical, but should I unistall then re-install?

• 4. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would keep that option for after you have explored the BSOD issue in more depth. The Uninstall/Reinstall has cured some issues, but I cannot think of anything in a "smurfed" (technical computer term... ) installation, that would yield a BSOD. Those are usually related to hardware issues, or to a driver conflict with the OS, and usually outside of the video-editing program.

Some of the links and terms in those articles ARE technical, so do not hesitate to ask, if you do not understand anything. We will do our very best to break it down.

The main article is not very technical, but the "degree of difficulty" goes up, as one works down through all of the links. I tried to keep things that way, so that the "easy parts" come first, and if one of them helps the person, they never have to get to the harder parts. Still, if you have any questions, someone here can step you through them. We are fortunate here, in that Steve Grisetti is not only a best-selling author and PrE expert, but he's a great technical writer too.

Yes, keep the Uninstall/Reinstall option available, but I think that something else is going on - however, I have been wrong before.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                  nealeh Level 5

2GB RAM is pretty much the minimum that PRE will work with - 4GB is much better.

How much free defragmented disk space is there on your drives?

Try the Burn To Folder feature - if that works then we'll know PRE is not the problem. If Burn To Folder fails at the same point then we know that it is more likely (but not conclusive) to be PRE.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                    KSTodd04 Level 1

Thanks guys!

I have 3.59gb free out of 4! I tried to burn to file and got to 25%  then it powered off!

• 7. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I have 3.59gb free out of 4

I assume that you are stating your installed RAM. Is that correct?

What Neale was asking was for the amount of free, defragmented space available on your HDD (Hard Disk Drive). PrE needs about 20 - 40GB, and when burning a DVD, that might go up to ~ 50GB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                        KSTodd04 Level 1

Wow, that is alot of memory!! Not sure I understand that. I've never heard of a home computer with that much memory.

• 9. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you are confusing Memory with hard disc (HDD) space.

Memory, in the purest sense, is the installed RAM. This is usually 1, 2, 3,4, 8, 12, 24 or 32GB. With a 32-bit Operating System (OS), there is no need to have more than 4GB installed, as only ~ 3GB can be accessed and used by the OS and programs. With a 64-bit OS, say Win7 - 64-bit, much more can be accessed and used. Depending on the type of RAM, you will see amounts ranging from 8GB to 32GB.

Now, the hard disc is the mechanical (or solid state - SSD) device, where the OS, programs and files are stored. These range in size from about 32GB, up to about 2TB, and many computers have several. For video editing, it is a good suggestion to have at least two physical HDD's, so that the processing load can be split between the two devices, and the OS and programs are not waiting for a single device to do a lot of reading and writing. Especially for video-editing, one needs quite a bit of defragmented, free space, as video files are large to begin with, and programs, like PrE create large working files.

Last, there is the OS's Virtual Memory, seen as the Page File. This is written to and read from the HDD. The OS uses this when the amount of RAM is used up, which on a 32-bit OS will be pretty quickly. The Page File functions like RAM, but because it is on a HDD (usually mechanical), will be much slower. The Page File can either be dynamically managed (default), so that it grows and shrinks, as the OS anticipates the need, or it can be statically managed, where the user sets a size and location, and the Page File is created at bootup. I recommend a statically managed Page File for video editing, as this does several things: If one does this when the HDD is new, and fairly clean, the OS will have plenty of defragmented space to choose from, and it will place the Page File as close to the inside of the HDD, as it can. As one fills up the HDD, those programs and files will be written beyond that static Page File, out towards the slower parts of the HDD. To dynamically manage the Page File, the OS needs to anticipate potential usage, and as a video editor can require more Page File, than most other programs, can guess wrong, or at least slowly. Last, to dynamically manage the Page File, the OS requires a fair amount of processing power from the CPU, and just this task can slow things down.

When on says "memory," they can be talking about any, or all of these, but first, "memory" is considered the RAM. For the HDD, this is most often referred to as "hard drive space." Virtual Memory is just what it sounds like - it functions like RAM, but is located on the HDD.

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                            KSTodd04 Level 1

Bill, thanks for making the effort to explain all that!! I somewhat understand. In order to keep things simple for me, would an external hard drive do the trick, depending on cost. I recently replaced my HDD, with the help of a tech. so hopefully that is not part of the problem. Since I  have windows 7, there are programs installed that I do not use and may be performing the same functions as other programs I installed. I'm thinking about to Mac, heard they are alot simpler.

Thanks again!!!

• 11. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

External HDD's can certainly be used. This ARTICLE goes into more detail and also some of the potential issues with using them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: P E 9, computer turns off during export
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With Windows, open Windows Explorer and RIGHT click on the drive letter and then select Properties

This will tell you how much free space you have

You also need to turn OFF the default Windows Indexing, for drive and all directories/folders, since Win Indexing is a HUGE waste for video editing, and can cause problems

I've been doing PC's for a LONG time so really can't recommend a good, current book... but you might want to buy "something like" Windows for Dummies (hate the title, but usually good books) for your version of Windows... to learn more about what you need to know