3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 6:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Stabilization problem, getting edges of video to do what they are told

dahj

Hi,

I have been trying for way too long to sort out this issue. Troubleshooting and test after test hasnt helped.

I have begun filming a lot of headcam footage of mountain biking. it can be very shaky at times, and i'm attempting to use the stabilization to help make things look better.

the problem i have is the top and bottom of the video have black edges that bounce in and out of shot after the videos are created.

I have tried every combination of stabilization settings I can think of to try to stop this, but it all ends up with top and bottom bouncy edges. .... lots of Zoom/little Smoothing, and visa versa. ticking Use Original, Limit to Zoom, or both.

As far as i can figure, zooming ang ticking limit to zoom should solve it, or, using original sides. Anyhow, i must be figuring wrong! If someone with experience in sorting out shakey video could help, that would be much appreciated. I know it must be something simple in another setting, but I'm at a loss to figure it out.

Cheers,

Dahj

• 1. Re: Stabilization problem, getting edges of video to do what they are told
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dahj,

Welcome to the forum.

Stabilization works by shrinking the Video a bit, and then tries to repositon it to smooth out the movement.

I would look into first adjusting the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale up a bit, on each Stabilized Clip. This should give the Stabilization Effect a few extra pixels to work with. You might need to experiment a bit. I would look in Scaling up by about 5% (basically zooming in on the Frame), and testing. I do not know the technical aspects of the algorithm that the Stabilizer uses, but I would anticipate that the 5% starting point should yield som epositive results. You may need a bit more, or possibly can get by with a little less.

Also, one thing to think about is that the "hand-held" look is very popular for action scenes, and Hollywood has been exploring that, since at least The French Connection. With a biking POV sequence, some shake would not be a bad thing. It is not like you are on the camera truck, shooting the Tour de France with a good set of legs and a fluid head, or a steadi-cam. You want to bring some of the roughness of the terrain to the audience. The dynamic nature of the POV can be a real positive, though I agree that too much can induce nausea...

Good luck, and let us know if Scaling up the footage a bit, prior to the application of the Stabilizer, helps.

Hunt

PS - if doing the Scale, before the Stabilization does not improve things, then try in reverse order, Stabilization first, and THEN Motion>Scale.

• 2. Re: Stabilization problem, getting edges of video to do what they are told
            dahj Level 1

That did it! thanks very much! Unfortunately the hand held look isn't what I have, it's due to a loose helmet cam mount!

I have another question regarding the stabilization. Is it possible to apply the Motion and Stabilization settings across an entire project, or do I need to edit each clip individually? I can't seem to access any settings when I highlight more than one clip.

thanks again!

I

• 3. Re: Stabilization problem, getting edges of video to do what they are told
              the_wine_snob Level 9

That did it! thanks very much!

Most welcome, and glad that got you enough pixels to hide the Stabilizer.

Unfortunately the hand held look isn't what I have, it's due to a loose helmet cam mount!

Oh, I see. Yes, that could well induce motion sickness in the audience.

I have another question regarding the stabilization. Is it possible to apply the Motion and Stabilization settings across an entire project, or do I need to edit each clip individually? I can't seem to access any settings when I highlight more than one clip.

With every Effect, that I can think of, the way to do this is to apply the necessary Effects and their adjustments, then Rt-click on that Clip, choosing Copy. Now, lasso all of the other Clips (or use Shift+click, if they are not contiguous), and then Rt-click them, choosing Paste Attributes. Now, this will Copy/Paste Attributes for ALL Effects, so you would want to do this, before you go in and say do CC (Color Correction, unless you want that too, with all the Clips).

Good luck,

Hunt