6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 12:52 PM by davidpet2

Scatch Disk Optimization + video card

davidpet2 Level 1

My main question is how I should set up my scratch disks to get the best performance out of Premiere Pro CS5.5, since I can only find generic advice online, but since I am thinking about getting an nvidia gtx470 so I can have CUDA for Premiere Pro, I was also wondering which will be the biggest bottleneck for me right now...not enough hard drives or a non-CUDA card?

For the scratch disk question, I have been googling like crazy, and all I can find anywhere is everyone saying to put everything on a separate hard drive totalling like a dozen hard drives.  That's not feasible for me.  Is there any way I can improve performance with only 2 hard drives?  I currently have C:\ and E:\ on 1 disk and D:\ on another.  All products are installed to C:\.  D:\ is my normal Data partition, and E:\ I mostly use for miscellaneous media, audio samples, etc.  It was originally set up that way so that I could put my audio projects on D:\ and audio samples on E:\ and have them seek in parallel during playback.  Can I make video rendering work better using these partitions as well?

For the video card question, I have an ATI 5770 and was thinking about the gtx470 for the price and because I could still do gaming if I wanted to.  Will the card difference or the scratch disk (they are all set to defaults right now) make a bigger difference, and am I just doomed if I only have 2 hard drives?  I don't really want to buy more right now because of money and because I have so much space left on both disks.

I am running Windows 7 x64 on an Intel core i7, 6 GB RAM, 2 hard drives @ 7200 RPM, and HD5770.  I will be working mostly with compressed HD video from DSLR and smartphone cameras.  At the default settings, a 10-minute iPhone video (720p24) takes 30 minutes to render with some simple effects, and the previews are super-pixelated to the point that I can't even use them to see anything.

• 1. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
          davidpet2 Level 1

While I'm on the subject of hardware upgrades, will it make a difference to get more RAM?  I don't care about like a 5% difference...I mean will it really really make any difference to have more than 6 GB for anything in CS5.5 Production Premium?

• 2. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
            Harm Millaard Level 7

In order of priority:

1. Get another 7200 SATA disk and lose the partition on your boot disk. Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Adobe Forums: Storage rules for an editing rig. Some...

2. Increase memory to 12 GB or more. See http://ppbm5.com/Background.html

3. Get a GTX 460+

To keep you reading for some time, press the overview tab at the top of the hardware forum and start with any article that seems interesting.

• 3. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
              davidpet2 Level 1

That chart on what to do with each number of disks is awesome!  Every other source on the net assumes a certain number of disks, which is crazy.  I'm surprised both the drive and RAM would be more important than the parallel CUDA processing.  I'll look into trying to do all 3.  If I do all 3, what kind of rendering time would I see from that same 10-minute iPhone video with effects, and how much more useful will the preview become?

Also, how important is it that the pagefile be on C?  I have it on D: right now because of the recommendations from Microsoft.

• 4. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The cost of an extra disk is pretty low, a 1 TB extra drive would set you back around € 40 and you would benefit from the performance gain with all operations. The cost of adding memory is a bit higher, but you would surely benefit on almost all operations, but most notably with MPEG exports. The GTX video card is likely the most expensive of the three options and will benefit you mostly when you need to render timelines or during exports where scaling, blending and render quality are important. However, it will not help with the encoding, because that is a CPU matter.

Rendering time would probably decrease to around 10% of what you now have if you add the GTX card. Just make sure it has at least 1 GB of VRAM. Versions with 768 MB VRAM are not suitable for hardware acceleration. In your example rendering would likely fall from 30 minutes to around 3 minutes or even less.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This video incorporates much of the information from Harm's posts on this subject:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5353.htm

(Thanks, Harm!)

If you want video versions of a lot of the information that Harm has pointed you to, check out the other videos in that series.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Scatch Disk Optimization + video card
                    davidpet2 Level 1

Ended up doing all 3 things.  The improvement in output rendering time is about 2x and some timeline bars that would normally be red are now yellow.  A little bit more pleasant to work with...haha.  Also, I found out that the issue with pixelated previews is because they WERE pixelated.  Apparently the default is 50% resolution which just makes each pixel into a block of 4 identical pixels (or perhaps does a low-quality interpolation....I didn't look that closely).  Once I realized that and changed it to 100% resolution, the previews looked great.  haha