8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 3:23 AM by Jon-M-Spear

Multi camera editing workflow

cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Everyone,

IM working on my first multi camera edit, after filming a school concert with 4 cams and 1 audio recorder. I have them synced using plural eyes.

I also know how to edit in multicam - excellant videos available on the net.

My question is, as the convert is 1hr 15 minutes, I dont want to run the multi camera monitor and edit for a full 1hr 15 mins, I am sure to make

mistakes. Is there a way of doing this in stages without having to split the project into a number of sequences?

I know how to manual edit, but obvoiusly this will take some time for an 1hr 15 min run.

Many thanks

Chris Anderson

• 1. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Hang on, I thought that you said the online videos were excellent!

You don't have to edit multicam sequences in realtime!  With the multicam sequence and monitor both open you can switch between the two and use the Rolling Edit tool (N) in the sequence to modify the edits you want to take earlier or later.

You can do this as many times as you like until you're happy with it.

• 2. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's what I do.

Edit the entire thing in realtime for the first pass.  You will make mistakes.

Close the multicam monitor, and go through the now cut sequence and make your corrections and adjustments.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
              You don't have to edit multicam sequences in realtime!

You don't have to press Play button of Multi-cam Monitor at all.

Even it is not playing back, every click on another camera view results in cut on your Master sequence.

So, for the first pass you may just manually jump through the timeline and make a draft cuts...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
                cjacs987654 Level 1

Thanks Guys,

Gonna spend more time on the manual process - slow but sure -

Thanks for everyones input

Chris

ps The on line videos are great but they dont cover everything!!

• 5. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
                  cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi Guys

Have been making progress on the multio camera sequence.

On the multi camera monitor you have the option of 'video follows audio'. I have this unticked thinking I could use the audio from one track

throughout, which ias my main audio I recorded with an audio recorder. Although I will need to make some changes

most of the audio I need is this audio recorder one.

I cant see how I specify in the multi camera monitor which audio track I want to use, how do i do that?

Regards

Chris

• 6. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
                    Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Audio always follows Audio Track One unless you specify "Audio follows video"

• 7. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
                      cjacs987654 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

That figures!! you saying I  should always place my main audio on track 1. I have it on track 5 after my 4 video with audio tracks.

Can you recommend a procedure to switch this? Is it a matter of switching the tracks around, but offcourse I would have to unlink video1/audio1 combined track

I guess

Thanks

Chris

• 8. Re: Multi camera editing workflow
                        Jon-M-Spear Level 4

It depends upon your workflow.

I tend to put my master tracks on Video/Audio 1 and work out from there.  If you're already committed to another workflow, you can drag all your audio tracks down one, so 1 becomes 2, etc, then duplicate the track you want to put in Audio 1, and copy it to Audio 1.  Then disable the redundant audio track.  Or...

Unlink the audio and relink it when it's in Audio 1.

There may be a method by routing tracks in the audio mixer. I can't think of one off-hand, but I haven't tried.