4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 1:27 PM by mrsamhall

DSLR Fast Playback

mrsamhall Level 1

First off I'm running Premiere CS5 on an iMac 2.93 GHz with 4GB RAM with a RAID 0 external footage drive over FireWire 800.

When I play back DSLR footage at normal speed everything runs well. However when I try to fast forward or especially reverse, the playback begins to lag until it is almost not playing at all. The problem obviously goes away if drop the footage on a timeline and render.

What I'm wondering is which part of my system is causing the problem. Is it that I don't have CUDA GPU installed? Not enough RAM?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: DSLR Fast Playback
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>drop the footage on a timeline and render

If your project matches your footage, you should not have a red line above the timeline and you should not need to render

See the 2nd post for a picture of the NEW ITEM pointer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666?tstart=0

• 2. Re: DSLR Fast Playback
            Colin Brougham Level 6

What I'm wondering is which part of my system is causing the problem. Is it that I don't have CUDA GPU installed? Not enough RAM?

You'll be happy to know that my computer would beat up yours and steal its lunch money, and I still can't playback DSLR footage in high speed all that smoothly

H.264--the codec at the core of your DSLR footage--is pretty processor intensive when it comes to playback and editing, and trying to play the file back faster just makes that even more difficult. Beyond that, the nature of H.264 (at least the way it's used in DSLRs) is that you don't have whole frames one after another like you do with other "I-frame" codecs. There are independent frames every so often, and in between, the frames are predicted from the independent frames. That's OK when you're playing back in real-time, but accelerating playback requires more processing power to look ahead and backward to fully recreate the predicted frames. I can get decently smooth playback at 2x and probably 4x speed, but faster than that and the wheels come off. Playing in reverse in real-time is a no-go. It's the nature of the beast.

Surely, a faster processor would help, as would more RAM, but you're more or less locked in with the iMac. Have you tried setting your playback resolution to 1/2 or even 1/4?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DSLR Fast Playback
              mrsamhall Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

The issue isn't when I view the footage on the timeline (which gets a yellow

line with matched settings for me. normal?). The playback problem I'm

experiencing is just when going fast forward or backward whether in a

timeline or not. I suspect it's a limitation of my system and I'm just

trying to figure out what hardware I might need.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: DSLR Fast Playback
                mrsamhall Level 1

You'll be happy to know that my computer would beat up yours and steal its lunch money, and I still can't playback DSLR footage in high speed all that smoothly

Interesting and good to know. At least I don't have to feel computationally inferior in that regard

Have you tried setting your playback resolution to 1/2 or even 1/4?

I have tried reducing the playback resolution to no avail. I guess as you said it's just the nature of the beast. I can live with that.

Thanks!