• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I add custom toolbar buttons to load different TOCs?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my WebHelp output, I want to have custom buttons on the toolbar that when clicked load a specific TOC in the left navigation pane. For example, when the user clicks the PC button, the PC TOC loads in the left pane. When the user clicks the VM button, the VM TOC loads in the left pane. All of the help files are managed in one project and some files will appear in both TOCs.

I think this should be possible but not sure how to make it happen. Is there some JavaScript that I should add to the custom toolbar item to load the TOC on click? How do I specify the TOC that I want to show for each button?

BTW - I'm using RoboHelp 8 (8.0.2) to generate WebHelp output. Thanks in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Hi there

If you were to upgrade to RoboHelp 9 it would simplify your issue. Version 9 offers a new feature called Dynamic User-Centric Content (DUCC) and provides a nifty little drop-down selector in the Navigation Mini-toolbar.

As you are on version 8 the only way I can fathom you would manage this is by generating two different outputs. Each output would use its respective TOC. The Toolbar button in each project could be configured to open the other project.

You might first decry having to manage

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2011 Jul 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you were to upgrade to RoboHelp 9 it would simplify your issue. Version 9 offers a new feature called Dynamic User-Centric Content (DUCC) and provides a nifty little drop-down selector in the Navigation Mini-toolbar.

As you are on version 8 the only way I can fathom you would manage this is by generating two different outputs. Each output would use its respective TOC. The Toolbar button in each project could be configured to open the other project.

You might first decry having to manage two outputs and all the files. But if you pick apart DUCC and the way it is configured by Adobe, it works in much the same manner. It's just hidden from your initial view.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link is to another answer from Rick that may interest you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871091

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick and Peter. I really don't want the toolbar buttons to launch new projects so we scrapped the idea for now. But I will definitely look into the DUCC feature in RH9. That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer was promising. I'm working in v. 7 (9 is on the way soon, I think, but not soon enough for the current project). I understand the concept of creating multiple outputs. I need the next step, i.e., how to configure the button to open its corresponding output. AND are you using the word "output" and "project" interchangeably? I'm "assuming" both words refer to a unique "single source layout" for each TOC? And just to be clear, is this concept limited to just one button/TOC/layout? My project managers are requesting several buttons that link to corresponding TOCs (subsets of the master TOC). I'm assuming that the concept and steps for creating the unique layout and linking to the corresponding button would be the same regardless of how many buttons you have in the custom toolbar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whose answer?

It should be possible to have different buttons for different projects but each button will need the full set so that users can hop around. That has the feel of something that could get messy and I think I would push for 9 sooner and do it that way.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Peter, it was Rick's answer I was referring to:

I think you are probably right...sounds like version 9 would be the easiest fix. And it might get here in time. Fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Rick and/or Peter. RoboHelp 9 arrived and is installed. I'm still struggling with the same issue...making created buttons on the taskbar in the skin load a unique subset of the master TOC in the left menu. I've created the multiple TOCs. The work-around I have at the moment is using the Content drop-down menu, which does, indeed, open the unique TOC in the left frame. But it would be so much more intuitive for the user if I could get the same effect with a named button in the taskbar. I've researched everything I can find in the Help on Skins and Multiple TOCs. I just can't connnect the dots.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My post 16 July contains a link that may help. The poster created different outputs and then linked them to buttons using Rick Stone's suggestion.

I haven't tried creating content categories and then linking buttons to the individual outputs it creates. Not sure if that would work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp