6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 7:07 PM by _Paz_

NTSC and PAL

_Paz_ Level 1

I'm in the USA.

I want to use a Canon 7D SLR and Premiere Elements 9 to create videos, in high definition DVD and/or BluRay,  that could be viewed anywhere in the world.  I'm hoping it will be easy to create for both formats, NTSC and PAL, but not sure which settings to use to go about it.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome,

thanks,

Paz

• 1. Re: NTSC and PAL
          nealeh Level 5

It's not that simple - they have different frame rates and different pixel shapes. You should create your project using the same standard as your camera - presumably NTSC as you are in USA. Fortunately, outside of the Americas, most DVD players and TV's display both NTSC and PAL

Also, what do you mean by 'High Definition DVD'? DVD specification are 720x576 PAL or 720x480 NTSC - i.e. Standard Definition. If you mean you want to record HD clips onto a DVD (PRE can't do this by the way - you would need to use something like DVD Architect Studio for that (check Steve Grisettis' book)) then playback will completely depend on the specifications of the BluRay player. Some can show HD data files, others don't.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: NTSC and PAL
            _Paz_ Level 1

Nealeh,

Thank you for your reply.  I do have Steve's book, but readily admit I have not read every word, yet.

My camera has four video recording options, none of which exactly match the specs you've listed for NTSC or PAL.

I can record at:

1920 x 1080p at 30 frames per second (actually 29.97)

1920 x 1080p at 24    "        "      "       (actually 23.976)

1280 x    720 at 60     "        "     "        (actually 59.94)

640 x    480 at 60     "        "     "        (actually 59.94)

I thought 1080p was/is high definition.  Are you saying if I choose to record in 1080p and then write to a DVD, the images are downsized by PrE?

I want to create a 'how to paint in watercolor' video series.  So far I've filmed a video short, two or three minutes long, which I wrote to a DVD.  I used one of the 1920 x 1080p settings, but now I don't remember which speed, nor do I know which of the speeds would be the better of the two.

Anyway, when I played the DVD on my 46" flatscreen TV, the image quality was marvelous.  Much better video quality than that of some 'how to paint' videos I have personally purchased in the past.  One I'm thinking of where the video quality isn't so hot is in a 4:3 format instead of widescreen.

Unfortunately, trying to work with video has overwhelmed my laptop and half my RAM died, I suspect from overheating.  The laptop began to freeze up, was HOT to touch and then simply wouldn't boot, had only a black screen until I removed RAM.  Now it's limping along and I don't want to attempt to process video again with this machine.  I've ordered another which will be here next week.

Neither NTSC or PAL is in the index of Steve's book, but I found references on pages 24, 25 (project settings) and page 203 (it may be in other places, I didn't find) under "Output to a DVD or BluRay Disc."  I was afraid I had already selected NTSC in the setup stage, but thought perhaps I still had the choice to select either NTSC or PAL when I actually burned the disc, but didn't want to take the chance of wasting months of filming by not understanding my options.

I had hoped I could choose to save the files in a generic format on my hard drive, then select either NTSC or PAL when actually writing the disc.

I'm still somewhat confused.

Paz

• 3. Re: NTSC and PAL
              _Paz_ Level 1

It seems my camera can record in either NTSC or PAL, but a choice has to be made.  I'm sure the filming I have already done has been in NTSC.

From looking through Steve's book, I see whichever speed I used, I probably selected the choice under the NTSC heading.  I wish I felt comfortable opening the program to be sure, but I'm going to wait until my new laptop arrives and go from there.

Paz

• 4. Re: NTSC and PAL
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>wrote to a DVD.  I used one of the 1920 x 1080p settings

PE downsized your input to create DVD output, since a regular DVD (not a HiDef hybrid, which takes extra steps and will NOT work in a DVD player) is SD only (Standard Def)

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206?tstart=0

• 5. Re: NTSC and PAL
                  nealeh Level 5

_Paz_ wrote:

I thought 1080p was/is high definition.  Are you saying if I choose to record in 1080p and then write to a DVD, the images are downsized by PrE?

That's correct - they will be downsized to 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).

_Paz_ wrote:

Neither NTSC or PAL is in the index of Steve's book,

Sorry - my lack of clarity. I'm referring to Steve's book "The Muvipix Guide to DVD Architect Studio 5.0" which explains how to write HD data files to DVD.

_Paz_ wrote:

I had hoped I could choose to save the files in a generic format on my hard drive, then select either NTSC or PAL when actually writing the disc.

Well you can choose in the Share process the output format you want.

1.png

I'd suggest you try it and see if the quality is acceptable to you. I'd be inclined to try using an NTSC project rather than PAL because it's usually easier to discard data than create (NTSC has 29.97 frames compared to 25 PAL).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: NTSC and PAL
                    _Paz_ Level 1

Neale and John,

Thank you for your replies.

I've remembered - the failed format - High Definition, or HD DVDs - vs BluRay, and BluRay won.  No, I did not mean I want to create the failed version, just that I would like to be able to create very high quality DVDs and/or BluRays (maybe) since my new laptop can write them.   As I mentioned earlier, my test project worked very well indeed.  A 0.5mm 2H (thin, light) mechanical pencil line showed clearly on rough watercolor paper.  I selected 1280p for my settings and there was nothing blurry about it, whatever the software might have done, although I have to wonder, why not film at the finished size in the first place?

Back to writing in both NTSC and PAL.. So, my camera is set for NTSC.  My beginning choice is NTSC.  My writing to disc choice can then be either one?

How does Hollywood overcome this?  Surely entire movies are not acted out twice, once for each eventual format.

Paz

Oh, the new laptop is super!