2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2011 6:02 PM by BalddogRobin

Virtual Graphic for Donations

BalddogRobin Level 1

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area or even able to describe clearly what I'm trying to accomplish.

I want to create a graphic (as an example, let's say a Christmas tree) where stars can be purchased as a donation via PayPal to light up the tree.  Once the donation is made, PayPal needs to return to the Flash graphic with the new star and message attached to it.  I'd like to do this for various holidays (Valentines, Easter, etc.).

Would I use Flex, Flash, or a simple animated graphic or other?

I have searched and searched on this to no avail.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Virtual Graphic for Donations
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could do this with Flash though you would likely need the support of a database as well as server-side scripting to process between Flash and the DB.  Each light on the tree would have to have a unique identity that you would store in the DB when a donation has been processed.  So when the file starts up, it retrieves the lighting info from the DB to light the lights that need lighting (and disable them as being selectable).  After a donation is processed, the file would need to refresh the Db info so that the newly added light lights up.

• 2. Re: Virtual Graphic for Donations
            BalddogRobin Level 1

I have ColdFusion and SQL Server, so I can store the donation information that way.  I guess I need to learn how to integrate Flash with CF and SQL Server.  Would I start by purchasing a stock vector of a tree and stars/ornaments, etc and have a list of these items to select, go to a form, then process through PayPal?  I'm thinking out loud.

It seems like this would already be available for purchase for non-profit website donations.  I'm trying to come up with something for our school PTA (apples for an apple tree as teacher donations).