5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 5:27 PM by Tai Lao

Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode

WarpedMind

I hope someone can please help me figure this out.

My color picker will only show grayscale. I've tried everything... starting a new file and turning off color management, new doc in both CMYK and RGB. I've changed image modes (and no, it's not in grayscale), I've even opened existing files that have color. Even in these files, I still get grayscale only.

One thing that I did do that successfully gave me some color was I used a pre-made color gradient and then picked one of the colors from it. That worked fine. But as soon as I delete the gradient and go back into the picker, it's back to B&W.

I suspect that I must have toggled something by accident. Can someone PLEASE help me? I'd sure appreciate any input. I'm obviously dead in the water till I figure this out.

Please email me at tomgrow@gmail.com if you need more info or ask here.

If I'm an idiot and my question is an idiot problem, I'm very sorry. What can I say??? I'm an idiot! :-P

Thanks everyone.

Tom

• 1. Re: Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode
          WarpedMind Level 1

I did notice that my Color pallete window (F6) does work. But that would mean I have to pick all my colors from there instead of the color picker. And when I do pick a color from there, the color picker works again... but as soon as I select black in the color picker, I'm back to my original problem.

More updates since writing this... I've also discovered that when I DO select black in the color picker, the whole color picker area shows only black, with the vertical grayscale bar beside it. HOWEVER, if I select anywhere on the black area, the vertical bar will reflect a color gradient to black. Here, I guess the best way is to show you:

1. Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 10.27.50 PM.png

2.  Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 10.28.07 PM.png

3.  Screen shot 2011-07-13 at 10.28.29 PM.png

• 2. Re: Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode
            WarpedMind Level 1

Nevermind. I'm in idiot, just like I said before! LOL!

I figured it out. Basically, that vertical bar of color was for some reason starting at the very bottom (black). Dunno why still, but once I move it up, it's fine. If anyone knows why it's suddenly defaulting at the bottom of the range and how to fix that, I'd love to know.

Thanks.

Tom

• 3. Re: Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode
              Level 4

Your question is not even remotely a color management issue and, therefore, it's in the wrong forum.

It's an application specific question and thus belongs in the Photoshop forum for your platform of choice:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh#

That being said, try turning on the H button (instead of the B button) and see if that makes a difference:

Color_Pickeer_PEBKAC.jpg

If necessary, delete/re-set your preference files by holding down Command+Option+Shift as you launch Photoshop.

Next time you post (in the appropriate forum) give details about your setup.  Read the following link carefully in its entirety.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 4. Re: Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode
                Level 4

WarpedMind wrote:

…Please email me at tomgrow@gmail.com

In your dreams.

Please come back to the forum to look for replies.    Email responses would defeat the purpose of the forum, which is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster.    Additionally, we are all users just like you, just trying to help each other out.  You are not addressing Adobe here.

• 5. Re: Stuck in B&W - and YES, I'm in RGB mode
                  Level 4

EDITED missing link in post #3:

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了