19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 8:09 AM by the_wine_snob

Title cover opening scenes

bertil9 Level 1

Hi,Test_2011-07-14.jpg

When I celebrated 50 - more than twenty years back - two of my friends covered the party with their videocams. Since I have an idea of sharing the memories with my family and friends I had those tapes converted to digital form (i.e. AVI-files) last year. Using Adobe Premiere Elements 9 I have now edited the clips but before making DVDs (PAL, Wide-screen) I would like to use more features of this tool, say make a meny, titles or transitions.

I´ve tested to make a title but it didn´t work as I expected; the title "covered" the opening scenes - I would like to have the title ahead of the video. How to achive that? Can I settle the time? Beeing a newbie I would appreciate any help from this community. I include a PrtScr.

Premiere Elements 9, Version 9.0.1 (Swedish version)
      System:
      Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS4
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
      4096 MB
      Three disks: 2*500 GB + 1 TB

• 1. Re: Title cover opening scenes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You'll notice that your title is on Video 2, the video track above the rest of your video.

Drag it down to before the rest of the video (it will all move aside to allow the title to slide in) and your title will appear over a black background.

• 2. Re: Title cover opening scenes
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Steve has provided you with the answer for the Title. Just like regular Video clips, anything on higher Video Tracks, say Video 2, or Video 3, will be over anything on a lower Video Track. With many Titles, there will be a lot of Transparency, around the Title elements (Shapes, Text, etc.), so one would see though that part, to the next Video Track below. By default, PrE assumes that you want an overlay Title, where the Text or Shapes would appear over the underlying Video, but this is not what you want. You want an opening Title, so you need to alter the position, where PrE placed the Title, just as Steve points out.

Here is a list of learning resources, that most users, whether experienced, or new, find useful: New to Premiere - Some Resources.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Title cover opening scenes
              bertil9 Level 1

My hat off to Steve Grisetti and Bill Hunt for your  kindly help and a very swift reply. I really appreciate it. With your  help I can say: "Mission accomplished!"

Re the title, can I add an audiofile to it and "stretch" it (i.e. the title) in time? Further, I would like  to add a transition between the two videofiles. I¨ve looked at the  available transitions but how do I insert it between the files?

• 4. Re: Title cover opening scenes

It sounds like you could use some basic training, Bertil.

Have you checked out my 8-part Basic Training tutorial series on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Then, if you wan to know the program inside and out, you can check out my books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

Yes, you can extend the title as long as you want just be dragging one one end of it. You can also add music to the Soundtrack audio track. (Just be srue to hold down the Ctrl button as you do so that you override the ripple function, as I explain in my book.)

As for transitions, you just drag them right onto the intersection of any two clips on your timeline.

But check out, at the very least, the free tutorials I've created. They'll probably answer most of your basic questions.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that Steve has anwsered everything.

Transitions are easy to apply, but there can be situations with your Clips, where they might not act, as you would expect. This ARTICLE will give you a few tips, and things to consider, if the Transition does not behave, as you expected.

BTW - I endorse both his Learning Series and his books too.

Happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Title cover opening scenes

Thanks, Bill!

• 7. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                      bertil9 Level 1

Thanks for valuable advice to Steve Grisetti and Bill Hunt!

Yeah, I certainly need basic training! It do take some time to get used to the GUI and the "structure" if you are new to videoediting. I do remember my first touch with Macintosh (mid 80s). At that time I was commuting to my job on a weekly basis. Every weekend I brought my Mac with me home. It didn´t take long until our children learned how to use it - intuitive GUI?

Well, thanks to your advice I managed to "extend" the title and add an audiofile. I also tried - and managed - to add a transition between the two clips as well. However, it showed an unexpected behavior by showing scenes that were not shown without the transition not present. However, reading the link given by Bill Hunt provided the answer - thanks! The transition I added right after the title did not show any "extras".

Before I finish my project I would like to add a closing "title", e.g. giving credits and copyright. Any hint?

• 8. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I also tried - and managed - to add a transition between the two clips as well. However, it showed an unexpected behavior by showing scenes that were not shown without the transition not present. However, reading the link given by Bill Hunt provided the answer - thanks! The transition I added right after the title did not show any "extras".

Those "extras" are appearing, because the Handles are too short. Those removed Frames are needed for the Handles, so one would just Trim a bit more, leaving enough of the "clean Clip," to accommodate the Transitions.

Back when one was editing physical film, it was easy to see how much of a Clip was needed, to provide for a Transition, but with single-Track NLE video, it is not so easy to pick up on exactly how much "extra" is needed.

Once one gets the concept of Handles down, it will become second-nature. Also, this can easily translate into shooting the videos, with enough extra material in each shot. I always start the camera, about 2 - 3 sec., before any "action," and then keep shooting, for about the same amount of time, after any "action."

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                          bertil9 Level 1

Thanks to you Bill for your message, I will try to remove those "extras" and insert a tranistion.

BTW, do you have any suggestion re how to add aclosing "title" to my clip?

• 10. Re: Title cover opening scenes

It's exactly the same as adding an opening title, Bertil.

If you want video in the background, place the title on Video 2, over existing video.

If you want it to be black behind the title, place it on Video 1.

• 11. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                              bertil9 Level 1

Thanks Steve for a very swift response, I really appreciate that.

Yeah, I understand that the "procedure" would be the same as adding a title at the beginning.Thing is that I would like to have more options to choose between than the title-templates given in Premiere 9. Since I´m familiar with making photoshows using ProShow Producer I can buy "Slide Styles" both from Photodex as well as other sources (third party). Is there anything like that in this case?

• 12. Re: Title cover opening scenes

Absolutely.

You can create any title look in Photoshop Elements and save it as a 640x480 PSD file and then use it as a title.

You can also use a program like After Effects or Hollywood FX to create an animated title clip, output it as a DV-AVI and use it as a title.

It all depends on what exactly you want your title to look like and do and how much money you've got to spend on supplemental programs.

• 13. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                                  bertil9 Level 1

Thanks again Steve for your advice which I applied this morning and it worked OK - my sincere thanks! Maybe I'll have a look at the other programs you mentioned later on.. sounds interesting!

• 14. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                                    bertil9 Level 1

Steve, I´m back with a question, hope you don´t mind.

Well, after succeeding with my first videoproject I´m about to burn DVD´s. As said I´ve done a couple of photoshows (ProShow) and used ImgBurn to burn the DVD´s. Using Premiere Elements I got a .mpg-file. How do I proceed to get an imagefile (.iso)?

• 15. Re: Title cover opening scenes

You don't want an image file. You want a VIDEO_TS folder.

Go to Share/Disc and select DVD. Then, from the drop-down menu, select the option to Burn to Folder.

This will create a VIDEO_TS folder full of .vob files.

This folder and its contents is what ImgBurn should burn to a disc.

• 16. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE will not burn to an ISO, but for a DVD, just Burn to Folder, which will yield a VIDEO_TS folder, with the necessary BUP, IFO and VOB files inside. Use ImgBurn to Burn that folder to disc. No need to do an ISO, though ImgBurn can do that for you too, from theVIDEO_TS folder, but in your case, unnecessary. [As an aside, Adobe Encore, the full-featured authoring program, that ships and installs with PrPro, can Burn a Disc Image, ISO, just not PrE.]

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] I see that Steve types much more quickly, than I do. Must be all those books that he authors...

• 17. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                                          bertil9 Level 1

My sincere thanks to Steve and Bill again  for your advices - BTW, do you run a 24-7-365-service? After the "Build"-stage I was able to burn the folder to a disc - easy. I´m most grateful for all your help!

• 18. Re: Title cover opening scenes

Between this forum and the community forum at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com, we ARE practically on 24/7, Bertil.

Glad things are working for you!

• 19. Re: Title cover opening scenes
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sometimes, my wife THINKS that I do this 24/7...

Happy editing, and glad that we could help,

Hunt