3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 12:58 PM by CyanCMYK

Finding non-black text

RodneyA Level 3

I get a lot of Word files where various bits of text are in color (often URLs or editorial changes), or sometimes text is made from a color-build rather than black. I need to change all of these to black text. Oddly, selecting all the text and clicking the "Black" swatch will not do it if there's a character style involved.

I know how to search for a color, but it's hard to anticipate all of the colors that might appear. What I want to do is a search for any text that's *not* black. I can't find a way to do that. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Finding non-black text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I usually do two things to imported word files -- look for imported character styles that I don't need and look for swatches that I don't want, then delete them.

In the case of styles, replace with [None], swatches replace with [Black]. If the blue was hyperlinks, and you don't want them, you'll also have to open the hyperlinks panel to delete the links themselves.

• 2. Re: Finding non-black text
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

#1. Delete the color swatch and replace with black! (Oh well, I guess that's not all there is to this.)

#2. Search for text that is black, then press the [Right] key. The next character is either end-of-story, or it's not black.

RodneyA wrote:

Oddly, selecting all the text and clicking the "Black" swatch will not do it if there's a character style involved.

You sure? That only happens if the character style defines the new color.

• 3. Re: Finding non-black text
              CyanCMYK

How about dumping it into Notepad then copying over to InDesign? I've always done this to get rid of any formatting.