10 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2017 8:31 AM by nathanl30006832

7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?

Webshark2000 Level 1

Our client has a large amiptheater with a 10,000 lumen HD projector and 7.1 surround sound setup.  They would like for us to produce a Blu-ray with 7.1 audio.  We have delivered a 5.1 surround Blu-ray to them, but I'm not sure if Premiere Pro is able to mix 7.1.

How could we acomplish this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure about 7.1, but SurCode's DTS-HD can do 6.1 (additional rear-center).

In Audition, you can mix as many Tracks, as desired, and can locate their "source," as required. The trick will be to Encode those files, in a form to fit the BD-specs.

Good luck, and please share your findings,

Hunt

• 2. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

6.1 and 7.1 are essentially the same thing.  With the latter, two speakers are used to deliver the back center channel, but it's the same signal to both.

And no, PP isn't capable of mixing in this format.  There's no way for you to steer the signal to a discreet back center channel.

• 3. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

That depends. You might want to take a look at possibilities for 6.1 HERE.

With one array, there is a RC channel, with another, RC is a phantom RC from the Rs + Ls.

Hunt

• 4. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                Webshark2000 Level 1

So, is that to say that there is no way to encode a 7.1 mix on a Blu-ray disc without something like Pro Tools, even if the mix isn't 8 discreet channels?  Honestly if it was just a 5.1 mix that read 7.1 on the system, I don't think our client would be able to recognize the difference in sound between a true 5.1 discreet mix and a true 7.1 discreet mix, but if the player was saying it was a 7.1 mix they'd be happy.

• 5. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Without going to other Encoders, I do not know of any plug-ins, or workflows to get full 7.1 from PrPro.

I would never say that it cannot be done, as I have seen some workflows for DD 5.1SS, that relied on open source tools (OK, those are not ALL in PrPro, but without expensive Encoders), that are claimed to work fine. There are some very creative people out there.

As for 7.1 on BD, Disney has released probably the largest 7.1 catalog of anyone, but still, there are few 7.1 titles out there, even from major studios. It seems that most commercial studios are pleased with DD 5.1 SS, and then a few supplemental formats, like DTS, DTS-HD, but do not seem inclined to go beyond 6 channels.

I would love to hear Neil Wilkes (one of the MOD's on the Encore Forum and a heavy-duty audio producer) weigh in on 7.1 SS, as I know that he would have many ideas, and I always learn something from his contributions.

As for the production, I often have many "channels" in Audition, however always output/Encode to DTS 6-channel for delivery.

Good luck, and please update the thread, as you research and explore.

Hunt

• 6. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When we built our house 4+ years ago, and I was looking for inwall speakers and amps for our two main TV areas, I looked at a few 7.l amps (can't remember brand/model) and *think* I remember that all the ones I looked at said they would work even with a 5.1 input via in-amp mixing of some sort

So... what happens if you just create a 5.1 BluRay and use that?

PS - since my source to the amps was DirecTV and a DVD player with "only" 5.1 output, I just went with an Onkyo 5.1 amp in both places

• 7. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Honestly if it was just a 5.1 mix that read 7.1 on the system

I don't think it works that way.  To read as more than 5.1, it likely needs to actually be more than 5.1.

Whether the back center channel is matrixed (DVD) or discreet (DVD & Blu-ray), PP doesn't have the capabilities for creating that back center channel.

• 8. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                        nathanl30006832 Level 1

So I know it's bad to suggest competing software on Adobe's site, but they're dropping the ball in the audio editing game. Right now Davinci Resolve 14 is in public beta which includes Fairlight audio editor in it which can mix 7.1 tracks. It doesn't come with any effects or plugins but if you don't mind adding your effects in audition and adding DR 14/Fairlight into your workflow you can do your panning and final mixing in Fairlight. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

• 9. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I saw that news about Fairlight, too.  Built-in upmixing will be nice.

• 10. Re: 7.1 audio mixing in Premiere?
                            nathanl30006832 Level 1

I agree, I haven't been in the Adobe camp too long. I was in the Vegas for video (Avid Pro Tools (not HD) for audio) camp until Sony sold Vegas to MAGIX, and since I already have an Adobe CC license I work mostly in premiere and tried audition, being able to do 5.1 was nice but if I needed to I could already do that in Vegas which was pretty dated until last month with the new version release. But I stick to Pro Tools for now. And once I got 5.1 mixing down with Adobe I wanted to go further than that. If Adobe can get us 7.1 mixing in Premiere and Audition, they'll keep me, that way I'm invested in one ecosystem. But I'm fine piecing things together now.

If you have a beefy system (Newer Intel Xeon CPUs/Chipsets)  and a beefy wallet, get a license for Avid Pro Tools HD and or Media Composer HD and you can mix Dolby Atmos tracks (this is fresh out NAB last week so it may be a bit before it's integrated). And from what I can tell from Dolby's in-house plug-in it seems pretty damn simple to keyframe any adjustments. And then you can downmix it to work with static stereo, 2.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc with ease.