3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 3:20 PM by SebastiaoV

Paste Into an Illustrator Path

SebastiaoV Level 1

Hi guys,

i have this Illustrator file (an .ai file)

Captura de pantalla 2011-07-14 a las 17.41.55.png

the i imported to Indesign and I would like to "Paste Into" this image

1204883_32870342_web.jpg

To look something like this idea

1.png

I can't do it the image will be paste in the box of the graphic and inside each ball. 1) Should i fix the illustrator file in any particular way? don't know save as or expand? 2) I know i might be able to do that on Photoshop but it would be 10 times better and faster to work it out in InDesign.

Thanks for any help or info!

Cheers,
      Sebs

• 1. Re: Paste Into an Illustrator Path
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need to make the Illustrator file into a compound path (with no fill would probably be a good idea). I suspect you also need to copy and paste, rather than place it in ID, then you can select the compound path and place your image inside it.

• 2. Re: Paste Into an Illustrator Path
            SebastiaoV Level 1

Right on everything Peter. Thanks for the info. Just curious i don't know why from Illustrator to InDesign Place doesn't work and copy+paste do?

Cheers,

S

• 3. Re: Paste Into an Illustrator Path
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Copy and paste gives you access to the paths, including a compound path created from the paths.

When you place an image (e.g., as an AI file), it's treated as a single object. It can go through transformations—scaling, skewing, rotating, etc.—but you don't have access to its parts.

The disadvantage of copy/paste is that it only works for a relatively simple path (up to about 500 points). If it's more than that, it's treated as a single object, and is uneditable.

1 person found this helpful