9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 7:40 PM by jpodlesnik1

Lagging Premiere CS5.5 Project - Why?

jpodlesnik1 Level 1

Hi:

I've been working on a Premiere Pro CS5.5 project, using only DV footage, music and stills, and the project has been very slow, with the picons having to redraw on timelines whenever I switch between sequences. I'm going to list my specs below and hope to learn from you experienced folks where the weak link lies in my system. 

A couple of years ago, I upgraded to a editing system, using many of the specs suggested by Harm -

ASUS P6X58D Premium 1366 Motherboard

INTEL i7 930 CPU

12GB (six 2GB) Kingston PC3 10600 RAM

Two 80GB Intel X25M MLC GEN 2 drives in a RAID, as boot drive (quite fast)

Windows 7 Professional Edition DVD 64 Bit

Antec CP-1000 1000 Watt PSU

EVGA Nvidia GTX 480 Video Card

Areca ARC-1680IX-12 PCIe x8 SAS RAID Card

I'm using only one drive for the project - perhaps this is the weak link?. The drive is a Western Digital Quiet 2 TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 2. I'm guessing it's this drive - http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Intellipower-Desktop/dp/B002ZCXK0I/ref=sr_1_1 ?ie=UTF8&qid=1310665312&sr=8-1 The drive is 1.8 TB, with 824 GB free space.

drivespace-remaining.jpg

Is this not enough free space? Is this what is bogging down the system? I do have Premiere Pro meda cache folders set to that same drive. Should they be set to a different drive? Should I place the music in a separate drive/cache folder? Do I need to purchase more drives and link them to my Areca RAID card? Do I need a faster video graphics card? Is this what is causing the slow screen redraws?

Below is a link to a 4-minute motion screen capture, illustrating the sluggishness and unresponsiveness of my project when scrubbing across different sequence timelines. Note that almost the first 2 minutes of the video shows the time it takes for all the project clips, music and stills to completety load. And then after all is loaded, the scrubbing is still lagging. What do I need to acquire and change in order to have my editing experience more responsive and efficient?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://josephpodlesnik.com/project-lag.html