6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 4:25 PM by bowserusc

Numbered List with page numbers

bowserusc

I'm trying to creat a numbered list which includes the page number for each new line number. For example, if I'm working on the second page I want it to look like:

2.1 - aaa

2.2 - bbb

2.3 - ccc

2.4 - dddi

I know you can do this with chapter numbers but I'd like to do it with page numbers as well.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

• 1. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Seems to me you can add a current page marker before the auto-number in Number field of the list definition.

• 2. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
            bowserusc Level 1

Unfortunately, there is no current page marker listed under insert number placeholder. Only a marker for level and chapter number. However, I am using CS3, so it may be an option that has been added since.

• 3. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sorry, I should have verified that befor posting. You are correct, the list of special characters you can insert is limited in the list dialog.

Do you have list on EVERY page, or do you skip pages here and there? If there are no skips, it might be possible to use a second-level list that resets on each page. I'm not a big list user, so it would take me more time than I have at the moment to work out the details and explain it, but one of the others who's more list savvy may jump in.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
                bowserusc Level 1

There isn't necessarily a list on each page. We have a bunch of instructions and would like to be able to cut and paste all the items from a particular page, paste them into another instruction file and have it automatically update the numbered list to reflect which page it is on. A multi-level list would not be the best solution in this case.

But thanks for the advice.

• 5. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
                  karasmason Level 1

How about creating TOCs? You have to use paragraph styles and that would show the page number.

Depending on how many pages you need to do this on, you can create master pages and use the Type>insert special character>marker>current page number

I don't know if this is available in CS3 though.

• 6. Re: Numbered List with page numbers
                    bowserusc Level 1

No, thats not really any better than typing which page its on for every numbered list. I need something where if I drag the same text box to a different page, the numbered list will be updated to reflect the page, without needing to or having anything else change. I thought there would be a code for page number similar to chapter number (^H) that I could enter into the number field in the bullets and numbering settings.