6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2011 4:02 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Choppy playback with mxf files...

John Wykes Level 1

Hello.  I have been working with Premiere Pro CS3 for quite sometime until just recently.  Then last week I installed Windows 7, then Premiere Pro CS5.5 along with various updates.  I usually work with DVCProHD (Panasonic), 720p, 60p.  I just started working on a new project and playback is very choppy, whether the footage is rendered or not.  Everything else works fine.  My computer (purchased in 2008) has Dual Intel Xeon 5150 (10.64 Ghz total), 4GB DDR2-667 FBDIMM RAM (4x1GB), and an ATI FireGL V3350 256MB PCIe Video Card.  I am using a dual monitor set up as I used to do with Premiere Pro CS3 and Windows XP (with no problem before I went to CS5.5).   I checked the settings for the Mecury Playback and it seems to show that it is selected but also grayed out (can't be changed to anything else).  Anyone have thoughts on why the choppy playback?  Even Premiere 6.0 never gave me choppy playback  like this.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My first thought is the hard drive system just can't keep up.  You might look to see what's going on there.

My second thought is that PP is now a 64 bit app, and as such reeeeeally benefits from additional memory.  You may want to up that 4Gb to at least 12, even 24 if you can swing it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
            John Wykes Level 1

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have an 80GB OS/Application Hard Drive and a 1TB SATA Internal Video Raid (2x500), both of which seem to be working well.  In terms of memory, I was under the impression that, at the most, Premiere Pro could only use up to 4GB of memory.  But this might be from the pre-64 bit world of Windows (I am very new to 64 bit!).  Exactly how much RAM is Premiere Pro CS5.5 able to use at maximum?

• 3. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Exactly how much RAM is Premiere Pro CS5.5 able to use at maximum?

All of it. That's one of the reasons that we ported Premiere Pro to be 64-bit.

Are all files of all types giving you choppy playback, or just some? If it's only some files, then tell us as much as you can about those files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
                John Wykes Level 1

That's good to know about the RAM.  I will certainly poney up the fair monetary amount required to add more.

The files are all the same:  shot with the Panasonic HPX 170 in DVCProHD at 720p 60p.  The video files are listed on my hard drive as ".mxf" files.  Always played smoothly in Premiere Pro CS3, as did other clips such as older miniDV dlips.  I  will certainly look into the RAM issue, hopefully that would help.

• 5. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
                  John Wykes Level 1

I just did a couple things that seemed to improve the image.  One was to select Sequence>Sequence Settings>and check Maximum Render Quality and Maximum Bit Depth.  I also made my program monitor panel (which I have undocked and located on my second monitor) a little bit smaller.  This seemed to smooth out the playback very well, though not perfectly.  But I will also definitely look into getting more RAM.

• 6. Re: Choppy playback with mxf files...
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You can decrease playback resolution to speed things up and smooth things out. See this:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5367.htm