4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 7:56 AM by John T Smith

file to big to burn to a dvd

David1946dr

I just burned a  video file to my dest top using Pre Ele 1. The dvd burner said the file was to big for a dvd. The video is only 1 hour long. What made the file so big.

• 1. Re: file to big to burn to a dvd
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the size of the file?

What is the format, and the full specs. of that file?

Hunt

• 2. Re: file to big to burn to a dvd
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>a video file

When you have a SOURCE file, such as DV AVI, it takes up about 13Gig per hour of video

When you create a DVD, that file is transcoded by PreEl to MPEG2, which is highly compressed and is also converted to the VOB format used on a DVD

The other part of creating a DVD is for PreEl to create the special file structure need to play in a DVD player connected to a TV

Put a commercial DVD in your drive sometime, cancel playback, then use Windows Explorer to look at what is on the DVD

• 3. Re: file to big to burn to a dvd
              legswilly Level 1

Hi Bill, I am trying out PE 9 and imported a .avi file wich was created via conversion from dvr-ms to .avi H.264 by MCEBuddy. The file imported OK, I cut out the commercials and created the menue for the DVD. When burning to DVD I selected quality "Fit to available space"? and it started to encode. After this it told me it cant fit it on the DVD. I had to burn to a file and it would only do it when I selected the quality manually. Used DVDShrink to burn to the DVD. When I tried to burn to the disk with the default setting "Fit to available space", it told me there is not enough room, but I have 150G left on the disk, so I did not find out how big the file would have been. I had no problems using PE 4 doing the same thing. Am I missing again the most simplest thing, or is there a problem.

• 4. Re: file to big to burn to a dvd
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>to .avi H.264 by MCEBuddy

This message talks about that combination not working well

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115?tstart=0