9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2011 7:17 PM by Claudio González

Installing adobe reader

geri76

I was trying to download the most updated version of adobe. It said it downloaded successfully. Then when I tried to open it it said that it did not download successfully. I called a  friend and he told me to uninstall adobe so I uninstalled all the adobe files in my programs and now when I try to download adobe reader a box comes up that is titled     UI_ReaderInstaller and inside the box it says  "Only a single instance of this application can run".  What do I need to do to download adobe

• 1. Re: Installing adobe reader
          geri76 Level 1

Can someone tell me if they have any idea what the problem might be?

• 2. Re: Installing adobe reader
            Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

As this is a user to user forum, responses are not always instantaneous.

You may want to try the following.

Use  the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove all traces of Reader  from your system.  This is no longer supported by Microsoft because it can produce problems with Win 7,  but you can still download it from from places like

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

Then, download the Reader installer from

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

and perform a clean install.

• 3. Re: Installing adobe reader
              joema3 Level 1

I have the same problem: attempt to install Adobe Reader 10.1.0 produces the error:

UI_ReaderInstaller

"Only a single instance of this application can run".

There was no other version running, as verified by the process view of Windows Task Manager.

I had ver. 9.4.5, attempting to install/upgrade to 10.1.0 failed. I then removed 9.4.5 with Windows Add/Remove Programs, but install of 10.1.0 still failed.

I then tried the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, but it didn't show any version of Adobe Reader to uninstall.

Since 9.4.5 broke search highlighting, a solution is upgrading to ver. 10. However this isn't possible on some systems due to this install bug.

Search highlighting problem: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/865778

System Config:

Windows 7 Home Edition SP1 64-bit

Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW (A72 BIOS)

CPU: quad-core Intel i7-860 @ 3.8Ghz, hyperthreading on, RAM: 8GB DDR3

System disk: 300GB Velociraptor, 10k rpm SATA

Data disk: 2 x 1.5TB Barracuda, 7200 rpm SATA, RAID 0

Video: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX-275 896MB, driver: 8.17.12.5896(258.96)

Network: AT&T U-Verse (12 megabit down, 1.5 megabit up).

Browser: Chrome 12.0.742.122, IE 9.0.8112.16421 (32 & 64-bit), FireFox 5.0.

VLC 1.1.7, WMP 12.0.7600.16667

• 4. Re: Installing adobe reader
                clubist40

ok i had this probelme and i get to fix it

run the adob installer when th error message appear dont clos it do this

clic "ctrl and esc" as same time the windows task manager will appear

the go to "processues" and search for "install_reader_(en or fr)_mssa_aih.exe" right clik with mouse and choos "open the file location"

a window will appear with a lot of adobe install programe (if you execute the installation many times) you have to delet theme but one then you close the error message and execute the one you didnt delet and "voila" the set up will begin

if this is not clear just tel me

• 5. Re: Installing adobe reader
                  bazclarke

i have this problem ive tried to unistall my adobe programs but keep getting messages to do this and start again   but will not unistall them to start from the beginning all i wanted  to do is view my mailing label to send my order number off 

• 6. Re: Installing adobe reader
                    AntonioSaz

Thanks clubinst

Your solution works fine!

• 7. Re: Installing adobe reader
                      pwillener Level 8

For everybody who has "the same problem", Claudio has posted the perfect solution in post #2 of this topic.

• 8. Re: Installing adobe reader
                        AntonioSaz Level 1

Nop, I disagree... Claudio's solution does not work. CleanUp do nothing

• 9. Re: Installing adobe reader
                          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

AntonioSaz wrote:

Nop, I disagree... Claudio's solution does not work. CleanUp do nothing

It's not "my" solution, and it has worked for a lot of people...