6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 6:50 AM by JETalmage

Custom Calligraphic Brush

AndrewID1967

I'm sure there must be a way to do this but I've tried for hours with no luck so far - help appreciated.

I'd like to create a calligraphic-style brush which is rectangular, not oval.  Like I was drawing with a rectangular-tipped sharpie.  When I set roundness to zero I get a brush with height but no width.  I've tried creating a custon art brush from a rectangle but I can't work out how to get that calligraphic effect where the width changes according to the direction of the line.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
          MikeGondek Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make roundness zero on a calligraphic brush

or

Draw a rectangle

Drop it on your brushes palette

Choose Art brush

• 2. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
            AndrewID1967 Level 1

Thanks but I've tried both these:

If roundness is set to zero in a calligraphic brush, the width of the brush seems to be always set to zero as well (or very thin, anyway), and only the height can be adjusted.  (When I say width and height I'm assuming a vertically-orientated brush)

When I draw a rectangle and create an art-brush I can't seem to get the calligraphic effect of width varying with the direction of the line.

Is there something simple I'm missing here?  (I suspect there is)

Andrew

• 3. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
              [scott] Level 6

002.jpg

or

003.jpg

You won't really get a lot of width variation without either a tablet to dynamically input width differnces or using the Width Tool after the stroke is drawn to adjust widths.

• 4. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
                AndrewID1967 Level 1

Thanks but it still seems to have minimal width to it at its thinnest.  I'm wanting a vertical brush with square ends that varies from, say, 5pt when the stroke is vertical, to 15pt when horizontal.  I can control the horizontal width OK but not the vertical.

Andrew

From my reading (I think it was in these forums, or somewhere in the help section), 'bearing' applies to the tilt of the pen, rather than the direction of the stroke?

• 5. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
                  [scott] Level 6

AndrewID1967 wrote:

From my reading (I think it was in these forums, or somewhere in the help section), 'bearing' applies to the tilt of the pen, rather than the direction of the stroke?

Correct. The only aspects available without a stylus are random and fixed.

I think you're seeking control which will require a stylus.

• 6. Re: Custom Calligraphic Brush
                    JETalmage Level 6

A possible Artbrush workaround:

But of course that's a far cry from what you're seeking. It's a common feature, but not in Illustrator. And I really don't see how using a stylus (with bearing settings, etc.) will emulate it.

JET