13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2011 6:12 AM by scotlander32 RSS

Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

scotlander32 Community Member

Hi,

I had to carry out a system restore to fix a Sophos antivirus problem, which was successful. I tried to launch a PDF file but received an error stating that the program could not launch as it wasn't configured correctly. Trying to launch X Pro directly from it's icon or start menu resulted in the same error.

I also noticed that the integrated 'conversion menu's in MS Office had disappeared.

I tried a 'repair' through the add/remove programmes in the control panel, which ran through without any errors. Still the same errors when trying to launch any PDF documents.

I am now seemingly stuck in a loop as Acrobat X won't uninstall through the add/remove programmes panel (error reads - patch package could not be opened). I get the same patch package error when I try to re-install from the original CD. I cannot even revery back to our previous Acrobat 7.0 Standard as the installation aborts as it has detected 'a more suitable product is installed.'

Can anyone advise on a complete removal method of every trace of Adobe Acrobat Pro on my PC, so that I can try to re-install. I am currently left with a very expensive product which will not work Any advice appreciated.

Scotlander.

• 1. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
          Bill@VT MVP

You might try the removal tool in CCleaner. Not sure if it will do the job or not.

• 2. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
            capnbobby Community Member

Scotlander,

Check your DEP settings.   Your Data Execution Program might be preventing Acorbat X from starting.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

This site should allow you to find the DEP program in your system and find out if it is preventing Acrobat X from starting.

Refer to HELP if needed.

Capnbobby

• 3. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Thank you both for your suggestions. I have tried both courses of action, but to no avail.

I have gone on to manually delete the Adobe 10 Folder (I noticed there were two copies of each folder and file in the directory, each suffixed with a (2))

I then deleted the registry entries for Adobe 10 (I know this is dangerous and I took a backup before I started amending things!) and ran several registry cleaners to try and target any orphan entries, but still no joy.

Any attempt to install from the original disk gives the error "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

Any further advice would be appreciated if anyone can think of anything.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
                Bill@VT MVP

Sounds like the registry still has some traces of AA X. Not sure how to fix that for AA X. For prior versions that was a knowledgebase article on the manual uninstall with discussion of the registry issues. If you can find that article it might help you in the current endevour.

• 5. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Thanks Bill. I found a few threads relating to previous versions and it pointed me in the right direction, but unfortuntely it's still not working.

At least the error message has now changed It's seems that it's definately the Windows installer that's causing the problems, probably due to some files and registry entries still lingering about. I managed to grab the Windows Install cleanup utility, although there's no specific listing for Adobe Acrobat when I run that. There are a few Adobe Setup entries, but I'm wary about removing them as I have various other Adobe products (Dreamweaver CS3 / Photoshop etc.) on the PC. I don't want to impact any more applications. It looks like the only way I'll fix this is via a complete format and re-install of my PC.

• 6. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
                    Bill@VT MVP

There is a Windows Installer Cleanup tool floating around, MS took it off their site. If you can find that it might do the cleanup of the registry that you need. As before, it is probably a good idea to backup the registry first.

• 7. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
                      SimonATS Adobe Employee

is there an error code listed such as 1300 or 1402 listed with the patch package error?

• 8. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Scottland32, Bill@VT, et al,

Today Sunday July 24, 2011 I was successful in getting my re-installed Acrobat 8.0 (8.1.0) running without a shutdown error!

I hate to cry "success" so quickly, however I wanted to share MY solution to MY problem and perhaps guide someone else to a different approach.

First I did a complete purge of my Acrobat 8.0. All files and all Registry items that I could locate.

I then re-installed from scratch. I DID NOT do any updates. Program opened OK and all seemed well until I put my curser in the FILE...menu and moved it around or hesitated...such as attempting to save the open file. The error appeared AGAIN.

I then started an in depth search of my ADMINISTRATIVE EVENT VIEWER (Windows Vista). I traced back this particular error to June 14, 2011. This is when I began having problems. I then looked and saw that I had installed two programs on that date, prior to the "time" of my errors. One program was Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Compact Version) and the other program was

ApachePHPMYSQL-1. I was using these programs to try and learn the ins and outs of PHP.

At this point, I simply UNINSTALLED these two programs using my REVO Uninstaller. I then re-started my computer (reboot) and then opened Acrobat 8.1 and so far all is working fine. (fingers crossed). At least Acrobat is NOT shutting down on errors!

I now feel that it was NOT an ADOBE update problem nor a Windows Update problem. I believe, in my case, that it was one or both of the programs mentioned above. I will wait awhile before installing my Acrobat updates again. I am tired of troubleshooting and restarting my computer so many times. If anything else develops, I will post on the board.

Thanks for your inputs

Capnbobby

• 9. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Scottland32, Bill@VT, et al,

Today Sunday July 24, 2011 I was successful in getting my re-installed Acrobat 8.0 (8.1.0) running without a shutdown error!

I hate to cry "success" so quickly, however I wanted to share MY solution to MY problem and perhaps guide someone else to a different approach.   First I did a complete purge of my Acrobat 8.0.  All files and all Registry items that I could locate. 

I then re-installed from scratch. I DID NOT do any updates.  Program opened OK and all seemed well until I put my curser in the FILE...menu and moved it around or hesitated...such as attempting to save the open file.  The error appeared AGAIN.

I then started an in depth search of my ADMINISTRATIVE EVENT VIEWER (Windows Vista).  I traced back this particular error to June 14, 2011.  This is when I began having problems.  I then looked and saw that I had installed two programs on that date, prior to the "time" of my errors.  One program was Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Compact Version) and the other program was  ApachePHPMYSQL-1.  I was using these programs to try and learn the ins and outs of PHP.

At this point, I simply UNINSTALLED these two programs using my REVO Uninstaller.  I then re-started my computer (reboot) and then opened Acrobat 8.1 and so far all is working fine.  (fingers crossed).  At least Acrobat is NOT shutting down on errors!   I now feel that it was NOT an ADOBE update problem nor a Windows Update problem.

I believe, in my case, that it was one or both of the programs mentioned above.  I will wait awhile before installing my Acrobat updates again.  I am tired of troubleshooting and restarting my computer so many times.  If anything else develops, I will post on the board.   Thanks for your inputs

Capnbobby

• 10. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)
                            Bill@VT MVP

Don't have an opinion on the solution, but thanks for sharing it with us. It shows the power of looking at the logs when you remember the day your problem started. Hard to believe that SQL would do that, but glad your fix seemed to work.

• 11. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Hi, there is no error number quoted with the code. I have ran the Microsoft installer cleanup package but Acrobat Reader is not listed. I have several other adobe products installed on the same PC (Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc) so I'm wary about using the MS Install cleanup utility on something that's just listed as 'Adobe install' (3 instances) in case it impacts on one of these apps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep looking for an answer, although a complete reformat seems to be the only solution at present, which I can't do at this point.

• 13. Re: Adobe Acrobat X Pro will not launch after system restore (XP)

Thanks for your help - I've sent a mail as requested.