5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 12:25 PM by the_wine_snob

Nvidia graphic card stops working

jrleo33

When playing back a edited  scene on PE9, the preview's quality goes very bad and shows slow, with an error message that says: Grapgic card stopped working. I am using Windows 7, 32 bit, 2 GB of ram, with a AMD duel core processor. It seems I had this problem with Premiere Elements 3, and I had to tweak the memory in some way, but can't remember what I did. Any help would be appreciated.

John

• 1. Re: Nvidia graphic card stops working
          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Which nVidia card do you have?

What is the installed version/date of the nVidia driver?

Is your computer a laptop with the nVidia using shared RAM?

What was the exact text in the error message?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Nvidia graphic card stops working
            jrleo33 Level 1

I found the problem. In version 3 of PE, one could import still photos, and add special effects, and length. Not so with PE9, one must import a movie file. When I hit replay, the graphic card went nuts. When I import a single slide, as a video file from Photoshop 9, slideshow maker, the playback works well. Thanks for the help,

John

• 3. Re: Nvidia graphic card stops working
              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

PrE 9 will Import Still Images, and the program will basically convert them internally, into Video Clips w/ the Duration set in Edit>Preferences>General, and at the FPS of the Project.

What can create severe problems are the format of the Still Images, and also the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images. This ARTICLE goes into much more detail on the pixel x pixel dimensions for Still Images.

As for Still Image formats, PSD's (Photoshop's/PSE's native format), TIFF, JPEG (so long as they are NOT Progressive), PNG and most GIF's, should Import well, and if Scaled to fit the Project, should not cause an issue.

Glad that things are working well for you now, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Nvidia graphic card stops working
                jrleo33 Level 1

Pixel size is what causes my problems. I have a Sony a850 full frame camera, which has one of the largest pixel size sensors, (24.6) megapixel on the market. The camera has an extra-fine JPEG format size that produces a pixel size of 6048X4032. 

Even if I reduce the pixel size to 4912X3264, and run the photos in slideshow on Ps9, or in movie mode on Pe3 or 9, I get some flickering between certain subject areas of the photo that really can’t be considered noise.

Solving the problem then, would be to reduce the pixel size using PsE and using the Baseline (Standard) format, and not using the Progressive format.

The link you provided is full of good advice.

Once again, thank you for your help.

John

• 5. Re: Nvidia graphic card stops working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, relying on the Scaling algorithms in PS, or PSE would be the ideal. Since you are starting with JPEG, I would strongly suggest that you explore doing a Save_As PSD, so as to not undergo another JPEG compression. Some users do not see the degradation in the second JPEG compression, but I, and some others do. I would test for myself, as your eyes are the ones that count.

Good luck, and yes, if you do use JPEG, you do not want Progressive, but Baseline Optimized.

Hunt