5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 7:09 AM by gw5815

Webtop

_spoboyle Level 4

I want to create a website in Flex which looks and behaves like a desktop application (a webtop).

Does anyone have any advice suggestions or links that might be helpful getting me started?

• 1. Re: Webtop
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

I would first download and examine Tour De Flex. Then I would go and look at the various frameworks (Swiz, Mate,Parsely) and look at some of their samples.  Not saying that you have to use a framework, it just seems like they are certain to have pretty good demo application code on their sites along with the ability to view source.  Also do you have any Flex books handy, you may not need a Flex book (I don't have one) but they are nice to have access to when you get stumped by something or just want to feel out new areas such as video and sound.  If you have any questions you can post here or stackoverflow, we don't mind helping, just make sure you explain your problem well and post some code if at all possible.

• 2. Re: Webtop
            _spoboyle Level 4

thanks for that

I have 1 book Flex 4 cookbook, tbh it's not been that helpful

I've now installed Tour de Flex and againt not found anything in that from the quick look I've had, will look futher when i get a chance

Frameworks are my next port of call, hopefully there might be something in there otherwise I'm going to have to try and come up with a class desig of my own I'll probably be posting that here to review 'cause it's a skill I serverly lack

• 3. Re: Webtop
              gw5815 Level 2

I know of an example -- http://www.jibidee.com/ - built in Flex (has many custom components)...but they don't provide the source code.  It's at least an example of what's possible.

• 4. Re: Webtop
                UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Wow, that jibidee is pretty nice in terms of capabilities.  It truly is a "Webtop" in terms of tasks and actions that can be performed by the user.  Sometimes I wish there was a big ole' list of Flex applications because when I tell people about Flex, my mind draws a blank when it comes to publicly available applications that they can go and view ( other than Tour de Flex of course ).

• 5. Re: Webtop
                  gw5815 Level 2

We're going to be adding some new sites/applications to http://flex.org/showcase soon.