2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 8:26 AM by waflgnog

UNINSTALLING READER 10 PROBLEMS

RONALD RYAN LAW OFFICE

How to uninstall Reader 10 or make Acrobat 9 the default reader of .pdf files when all efforts to do both according to web postings have failed?

I have the full paid version of Acrobat 9, but I installed 10 Reader which I now know was a mistake. Every time a .pdf file is to open it opens in Reader 10 and I do not want that. I tried to uninstall Reader 10, but it failed on every attempt with error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\fdf\AcroExch.FDFDoc\ShellNew. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I also tried to make Acrobat 9 the default opener for .pdf files, but it was not listed in the list of programs even when I tried to browse for it.

• 1. Re: UNINSTALLING READER 10 PROBLEMS
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The problem is you cannot have Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 or Reader X and Acrobat 10 on the same Windows computer. The only Reader/Acrobat programs supported is Reader X and Acrobat X which was specifically designed to work together. It was never a priority to get them to work properly together, but for security reasons (Reader X Protected mode), Adobe finally put the effort to get them to play nice.

This tool might help: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

• 2. Re: UNINSTALLING READER 10 PROBLEMS
            waflgnog

RONALD RYAN LAW OFFICE wrote:

I also tried to make Acrobat 9 the default opener for .pdf files, but it was not listed in the list of programs even when I tried to browse for it.

Are you really sure that Acrobat 9 is still installed, if you can't even browse to the program?

I've successfully installed Acrobat 9 Pro Extended and then Adobe Reader 10.1.0 and both programs appear to work properly.

In my Adobe Reader X setup script I add the following registry keys after the Reader installation - please note that your directory names may differ depending on the operating system (language):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell\open]

@="Open with Acrobat 9"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 9.0\\Acrobat\\Acrobat.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.7\shell\Open]

@="Open with Acrobat 9"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.7\shell\Open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 9.0\\Acrobat\\Acrobat.exe\" \"%1\""

[Edit]

Having applied these changes you can right-click on a PDF to invoke the context menu and decide whether to open it in Reader or Acrobat

[/Edit]