8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 4:41 AM by Chris Nierop

Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards

marcelmason

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card (two monitors attached) and an ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card (single monitor attached) - when both cards are enabled Premiere Pro 5.5 crashes with the following

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 5.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d8a89e8

Faulting module name: Display.dll, version: 5.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4d8a796f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000008a928

Faulting process id: 0xea0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc42feb512e69d

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5\Display.dll

Report Id: 39b5140b-aef2-11e0-94bf-bcaec5670373

As soon as I disable one or the other of the graphics adaptors and run a single card the issue disappears.

Both cards (and all three monitors) have the latest drivers installed.

Premiere Pro 5.5 has all available updates/patches applied.

Do my graphics cards have to be matched?

Is there a different solution?

Thanks

M

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Do my graphics cards have to be matched?

Yes... or, at least, in the same family so they use exactly the same ONE device driver

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
            marcelmason Level 1

Thanks John, I matched the graphics cards and all is good

M

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
              Chris Nierop Level 1

I have the same problem.

PPRO 5.5. starts up correctly, Sometimes it works for a short while, then after a command (random) it freezes and I have to manually shut down windows 7 to stop PPRO searching for a solution

It started as far as I think after installing a second card for the 3th monitor (same branch, same drivers).

This is my configuration:

SSD Corsair 115GB Force Series 44558 P8P67 EVO v3.0 (1155) ATX 2*DDR3 8GB 1333 XMS CL9 Kit2 Dominator DH GEFORCE ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GEFORCE GT 520 silent (3th monitor) 2*DVDRW Samsung sata WIN7 pro 64 bits 2*HDD Samsung 1TB 7200 Core i7-2600 3.4Ghz 6MB 1155 SONATA IV 620W 80+ ADOBE PPRO 5.5, Encore 5.5, Audition 5.5

As given in many discussions about working with a 3th monitor there are oft problems, and suggests are same branch, same drivers.

But this is not enough, I presume, anyone suggestions to make the system more stable with a 3th monitor working?

It seems strange to me that a professional editing software cannot work with a 3th monitor. In the past I used a MATROX 100 card for the 3th monitor,

Chris

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No personal experience... but, from reading... when you have two nVidia cards you must also have the driver (and nVidia control panel ???) that allows you to specifically identify your primary (with Cuda) and secondary (w/out Cuda) so PPro is able to properly work with the two cards

>ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GEFORCE GT 520

Are you sure GTX and GT cards are completely compatible?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Chris,

CS5 / CS5.5 can push all aspects of your system hard at the same time; possibly your additon of the 2nd card has pushed past the limits of your power supply. It seems you are using the PS that was included with your case, and since the case/PS combo sells for less that many user's power supplies alone, possibly you need a larger and/or more robust quality power supply.

Do you have a good and strong PS available that you could swap out in you system to see if that is or is not related to your issue?

Jim

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
                    Chris Nierop Level 1

I don't think it is a power issue, the system is build a week ago (not by myself), with the opportunity to add a second card with  aspect to power and cooling, but I will look at it in detail.The components are choosen according information from the several discussions.

The 520 card is not given in the Adobe certified section, but is from the same 500 series, and fully the same in drivers. And as Harm Millaard suggested in earlier most interesting discussions about this problem, as I understood this is of real importance.

But I will look at your suggestion if CUDA is properly set.

Chris

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have successfully run a GTX 580 and a GTX 550 Ti without problems.  Get yourself a GPU test tool to monitor temperature and voltage of both units, like GPU-Z.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 Crashing w/ Dual Video Cards
                        Chris Nierop Level 1

It look like if the supplier of the system didn't set the cards on specific tasks (with CUDA). I did say this to him before building, but he ignored it.

So the system is back (I don't do it myself because of garanties) and I hope after reinstall the problem is over. I will report the results.

Thanks for the suggestions by now. (He will place an exta cooling device to be sure of this, the power supply is ok).

Chris