9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 10:11 AM by Professor Peach (I like '

Narration missing once saved..!

Professor Peach (I like '

I've just saved a project having narrated big parts of it, but it's silent on playback.

Heeeeeelp!!

• 1. Re: Narration missing once saved..!
          Professor Peach (I like ' Level 1

I should point out that there's sound on the playback at the project stage. But when I save the result is silent.

Very confused by this.

• 2. Re: Narration missing once saved..!
            nealeh Level 5

The narration track sometimes exhibits problems. Cut the narration from its existing track and add it to Audio 2 (or a higher numbered track if Audio 2 is already in use).

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Narration missing once saved..!

Thaks Neale. I did try that, moving it to Audio 1 (which I know works) as the sound was muted anyway, but zilch.

Really odd.

• 4. Re: Narration missing once saved..!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Professor,

Just so that I know what you have, can you tell us if this is correct?

You have a Project, where you ONLY have your narration as Audio - no other Audio. Is this correct?

You replaced any camera Audio with your narration, which had been on the Narration Track (per Neale's suggestion). Still correct?

In your Project, the narration is heard fine, but when you Export/Share that Project, the Audio is not there. How am I doing?

If that is correct, I suspect that your Export/Share did not Multiplex the Audio & Video Streams. Look in the folder, where you directed PrE to Export/Share. Is there a file there, with the same name, but a WAV extension?

When one does an Export/Share, they are usually given the option to Export/Share Audio, Video or both. That is step # 1. However, and what is often missed, is that there is step # 2 - the Multiplexing. If one leaves that set to None, then they get two files - one for the Video stream and one for the Audio stream. If they turn ON Multiplexing, usually with a setting of "DVD" on the Multiplexing Tab, then the Video & Audio streams are muxed, or Multiplexed into one file with both streams. This is where I would now look - the Multiplexing Tab in your Exprot/Share settings, usually under Advanced.

Good luck, and please let us know if that helps.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Narration missing once saved..!

Hi Bill,

You are spot on with your summary of my steps. I tried saving it with the sound in Narration and then moving it to Audio One.

I've just checked under multiplexing and it is set to DVD. Also there is no matching WAV file in the folder.

What I have just noticed is that the Audio is set to Dolby Digital and there's an alternative option for MPEG (which is the format I'm saving it in.. Think that could be it? I'll try it, although it's saved fine on previous projects without changing settings.

• 6. Re: Narration missing once saved..!

Aha, that's doneit!

How odd, I've never had to change those setting before.

• 7. Re: Narration missing once saved..!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Professor,

Glad that you got it. Usually, Export/Share settings (and some others) are "sticky," in that whatever was set the time before, will be the setting that appears the next time that one uses that format. Sometimes, and if the Project is not Saved (allowing those settings to "stick"), then the settings will be from the session a when the Project WAS last Saved.

In case you were having issues finding the Multiplexer Tab, I just did a screen-cap with annotations, and the last time that I did an Export/Share for my test Project, I did FLV with special/custom settings. Those were what came up, when I first went to the Export/Share Tab. Now, if I do a Save of the test Project, the settings will be for a muxed MPEG-2, should I open the Share Tab later on.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Narration missing once saved..!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As a PS, and as Neale pointed out, the Narration Track sometimes does odd things. The same for the Soundtrack Track. As both are Fixed Tracks (automatically created, and cannot be Deleted), we've never figured out why they sometimes just do not work. When they do not, the "trick" has been to do, just as Neale instructed you - Move those Clips to a vacant regular Audio Track.

I'd love to know what goes wrong with those two Fixed Tracks, as they normally do work fine - just sometimes, they do not...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Narration missing once saved..!

Thank you Bill, for your time and patience once again.