4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 11:31 AM by Shane P

Premiere Pro 5.5 - All Grown Up

Shane P Level 3

I have been a Premiere user since version 5 going back to 1997 or 1998 I think. Through the years the one thing that frustrated me on more occasions than I can count is the countless crashes and instability. If I had a dollar every time Premiere crashed, choked, froze, threw an error, etc., I could have probably paid cash for my house. Through the years every new version was hyped as usual about the various new features and workflows but the instability and the fear of a crash always remained and I always said to myself "yeah ok, let’s see how many of the new features I can use before I am rebooting". The fear of crashes had me saving projects after ever other cut or tweak. If I has 5 or less crashes or freezes, etc in the course of a day it was a good "productive" day.

Like many of my fellow community members here I have been paying my mortgage and making 100% of my income with Adobe's tools with Premiere being the main staple of my workflow and income. I ran Premiere Pro 1.5 for a few years and didn’t bother upgrading until the CS4 release. And to what did my wondering eyes did appear? More instability! Shocked! No I wasn't really shocked, I expected it. It's Premiere "Pro" after all right? I would have been a fool to think that a new release of PP would be stable.

All playful sarcasm and kidding aside, through the years because of my true love and passion for Adobe and Premiere Pro I never abandoned Premiere. I never even tried FCP or Avid MC in hope that PP would one day get the love and affection from the PP development team and would one day be "all grown up" and be a "big boy" like it's big brothers AE and PS.

About a week ago I downloaded the 5.5 free trial and all I can say is WOW! As I stated above "I would have been a fool to think that a new release of PP would be stable". Well...I happily swallowed a big piece of humble pie...today I am a fool. I wouldn't have believed it unless I tried it. I have been editing about 6-10 hours a day for about a week and I am just speechless. PP has been rock solid and hasn't crashed, frozen, not a hiccup. I truly can't put into words how amazed I am about the stability. I haven't enjoyed editing this much in the last week as I have had in the last 10 years. When I upgrade to the Master Collection when my trial has expired I can only hope that Dynamic Link is as rock solid. I have faith that it will be.

About 3 years ago I met a friend of my brother n' laws and we got to talking and he said he worked out in CA doing audio editing for some TV show out there (can't remember the name but a cheesy show as I recall) and he said he did his audio on Pro Tools and the editors used Avid MC. He asked me what I did and I told him, he asked what I edited on. I said PP and SB and he kind of looked at me weird.

Today I hold my head up high and when someone asks what I cut on I can proudly say Premiere Pro and when they answer I can look weird at them (unless they're smart and are cutting on PP).

PP CS5 gave FCP a fat lip and now PP CS5.5 has FCP down for the count (with a little help from Apple stubbing it's arrogant toe as well !)

Adobe, THANK YOU! There's still one more "bully" left to go after...go knock 'em out! 

Shane

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 - All Grown Up
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Shane,

Thank you for taking the time to share your success. I am sure that it heartens our Adobe folk here, as they have worked very, very hard to get Premiere where it is today. You possibly made their day.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 - All Grown Up
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My Premiere history is...

CS5 Apr 2010 Asus P6 SE Intel i7 920 12Gig DDR3 nVidia 285
            CS3 Jul 2004 D875PBZ Pentium4 3.2Ghz ATI Radeon 9600xt 2 Gig DDR 400 Ram 2 hard drives
            Pr6 Jan 2002 Alienware Roswell Pentium3 1Ghz nVidea geforce2 D815EEA2/D815EPEA2 512Ram

The only problem I ever had with Premiere 6 was when trying a "new, better" nVidia driver that did not work properly with P6, so I just rolled back to the previous driver that supposedly lacked overall features... but it worked properly with P6... file source was Sony 8mm analog camcorder, digitized via Pinnacle Dv500 to standard DV AVI

Zero problems with my home built computer and CS3... file source was Sony 8mm analog camcorder, digitized via Pinnacle Dv500 to standard DV AVI

Zero problems with my home built computer and CS5... file source(s) are wife's Flip HD as MP4 and my Canon Vixia as AVCHD

I am a home hobbyist so no particular deadlines or work pressure... but, as I said, for MY work I've never had problems with any version of Premiere http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

For my home movies on DVD, I've also had zero problems with Encore

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 - All Grown Up
              ERBE UWE Bristol

Shane,

Your post is just what I want to hear. I, like you, used Premiere 4,5 and 6 and I lost a lot of hair through instability and crashes. In 2004 I moved lock stock and barrel to FCP and have never looked back - until FCP X and Apple's abandonment of the professional community.

With a view to long term, I'm now forced to choose another system and I must say I'm pretty impressed with CS5 on the Mac - I tried CS4 but that never worked (for me) from the off - that was on a PC though.

I never thought the day would come but I'm contemplating cutting my next project in Premiere, fingers crossed.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro 5.5 - All Grown Up
                Shane P Level 3

@ Multimedia Lab,

I hear ya. I felt the urge to make the original posting because I was just that impressed, shocked, etc with my trial of PP 5.5. I was ready to burst with excitement and I needed to vent somewhere, lol. I tell my wife and just looks at me and says "that's great hon", she doesn't get it but she tries to humor me.

I am on day 14 or 15 of my trial and I literally have been editing several hours a day, every day, even on the weekends to squeeze every minute possible out of my trial and pound on PP as much as I can. As of this posting PP 5.5 has NOT frozen, threw an error or anything, literally NOT ONE HICCUP!!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe it. I understand that no software is perfect and I'm sure at some point there will be an error or a quirk or something, but if it's only going to have once every couple of weeks or once a month, etc., I can live with that. Like I said I know there is no such thing as perfect software but this PP 5.5 has me wondering...

I can't put it to words on this forum that would express my utter joy and excitement for PP 5.5 so I will stop trying haha. I don't want to start sounding like a weirdo or something.

I have had PP, AE and ME (all 5.5) open simultaneously, having ME encode in the background while I continued to edit in PP or mess around in AE...FLAWLESS!!! With CS4 when I would encode in the background and try switching back to PP or AE to edit or further composite 5 out of 10 times it ended badly. My system is adequate but by no means stellar. I'm sure a lot of my problems with CS4 was the fact it was 32 bit and I was asking CS4 to swallow too much in terms of ram for how much ram it could use.

I am running Win Vista 64 Home Premium, Intel Quad Core, 8 GB Ram. Like I said, adequate but certainly not stellar. I watched a recent video by Karl Soule in the Short and Suite series and I have been convinced that my next system upgrade will be an HP Worksation. I can only fantasize how fast PP, AE and ME would just be insane on a system like that.

IMO, I would definitely say give PP a shot. With the release of 5.5 Adobe has made a statement to the professional community. Like you said Apple seems to be moving away from its Pro line and focusing more on iPads, iPhones, iThis and iThat. In that respect Apple is fantastic and is the no.2 company in the world for that reason.

Anyone who is in our line of work uses Photoshop and I'm sure 99/100 use AE to some degree. So to me it only makes sense to use PP (now that is has been rebuilt and is ridiculously stable) because of the stellar integration between the apps. A few years ago I could see why a lot of editors said the heck with PP. With the rebirth of PP Adobe has one heck of an All Star team now. I know which team I'm staying on.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best. Keep us all posted on your decision.

Shane