1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 3:14 PM by Ned Murphy

Idiot at Large - Using buttons Flash 6

etbt
      I previously had Flash 8, but had to change computers and boss lady cannot find it. I am now working with Flash 6. Problem. Flash 8 filled in the necessary scripting for me. I don’t know html, java, or any other languages, and have no documentation or manuals to teach me. I only use Flash for a few test questions, and don’t even come near to claiming that I know what I am doing. Since I am downgraded to 6, I cannot open any previous files done in Flash 8, and need to create a test question that will allow the student to choose between 4 buttons. I need the buttons to direct to a specific frame, either correct or incorrect, when they release the mouse. Such as: on mouse down, go to and play frame 1115, or when mouse down go to and play frame 91.
      Attached is the code that it is asking me for, and I don’t understand what it is asking me for (object/parameters). Is it the name of the button? Dang, I know I am an idiot, I just want to get my job done. Any assistance given would be appreciated!
        • 1. Idiot at Large - Using buttons Flash 6
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          That code essentially contains two options for coding a button, the first being one that you attach to a button/object, and the second being one you enter in the timeline that contains the button.

If you get rid of the line you can't solve for and the ending brace with the semicolon, it should work, though it needs to be attached to the button (meaning click on the button to select it and enter the code in the actionscript panel).

on (release) {
          gotoAndPlay(1115);
          }

Alternately, if you were to get rid of the outer one, give the button an instance name in the properties panel (let's say you call it "btn"), and enter that on a layer in the timeline where the buttons lives, it would also work.

btn.onRelease = function() {
          gotoAndPlay(1115);
          };

The second is the more approved approach because it keeps the code where it's easy to find, on the timeline.