9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 9:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct

Smart-Alex Level 1

I just bought PE9. I have an old video that I need to edit and re-do the audio track. The original AVI file is 720X480 from what I can tell but when I open it in PE9, it's narrow.It looks like it want to be 640X480. Everyone looks skinny and tall! I have searched everywhere but can't figure out how to get it to the correct aspect ratio. In the older PE versions there was a set-up screen at start-up but where is it in PE9???

Alex.

• 1. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

From your description, it appears that you have Widescreen/16:9 footage. If so, just choose a Widescreen Project Preset (NTSC if you live in the US, or PAL for almost everywhere else). This will set up with a PAR = 1.2, and that should work fine.

While you have the Project, and that footage in it, why not Select a Clip and use the Info Panel, or Rt-Click on it and choose Properties, just to verify that it is Widescreen/16:9 with a PAR = 1.2.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
            Smart-Alex Level 1

Bill, after I wrote this I found a place to change it BUT then I ended up with the slowest slo-motion movie imaginable. The Aspect Ratio was right but for some reason everything ran VERY slow. The 1:15 minute clip would have taken 10 minute to play. Yes it is NTSC.

I verfied that it is 720X480.  Verrrry interesting.

Alex

• 3. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

In that verification, what did the program say about the PAR? It will appear in parenthesis, after the 720 x 480.

If it is Interpreted incorrectly, you may have to use G-Spot, or MediaInfo (both free) to find out exactly what you have.

When you say that you "found a place to change it," exactly what did you change, and where?

The PAR should have no impact on the playing of the file. I would guess that the speed of the Clip was changed and not the PAR, but that is only a guess.

Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                Smart-Alex Level 1

Bill,

I appreciate your help. Maybe this will help.

The video is froma  short movie we did about wto years ago. We can't find the master so we grabbed it froma  DVD we had of the movie. I had converted a VOB file to AVI.

Alex

• 5. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

The DVD will have the video in the MPEG-2 format, wrapped in a VOB container. Depending on several factors, the VOB's should Import fine into PrE 9, with no need to convert anything. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Attributes of a video file, are stored as "flags" in the header of the file. These would be FPS, Aspect Ratio (pixel x pixel dimensions), PAR, Duration, etc. When a video file is Imported, the program reads the header, and the flags, and then sets things up to match. However, not all programs write the flags clearly or properly, and the editing program can miss them.

My guess is that something is not proper in the header info of the converted files. Some converters are better, than others. Usually, if this is the case, one can Rt-click on the AV file in the Project Panel, and choose Interpret Footage, correcting anything missed by the editing program. In your case, it seems to be the PAR that is being missed. Maybe use Interpret Footage and force PrE to see the PAR as 1.2 for 16:9.

Even if G-Spot, or MediaInfo sees all the flags perfectly, PrE can still miss them, as it is very strict with the file's header info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                    Smart-Alex Level 1

I wasn't aware that PE9 would import VOB files. Too busy today but I will give it shot tomorrow trying some of your suggestions.

Alex

• 7. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Alex,

PrE has had that capability from about PrE 4, or maybe 7. PrPro did not get that capability, until about the second update for CS4. Now, this is nearly always perfect, with an exception - most DVR devices, and some DVD authoring programs, write a "bad" first VOB, as they contain non-DVD spec. navigation (especially DVR devices), and those can create problems.

When that happens, there are several DVD ripping software options in that article. This saves a real conversion, as one is just extracting the MPEG-2 AV file from the VOB container.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                        Smart-Alex Level 1

Bill...GOT IT!  The problem, when the aspect ratio was right but the playback speed was painfully slow, was that when I tried to Intrepret Footage, the FPS changed from 29.9 to 1. ONE! I didn't notice that the first time. It worked beautifully.

THANK YOU!  The last time PE I worked with was 2.0. I'm an old fart with new toys.

Alex

• 9. Re: Can't get Aspect Ratio Correct
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thanks for reporting your success.

Happy editing,

Hunt