4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 2:28 PM by Steve Grisetti

Getting files from camcorder to PE

Trainman 48

Hello all. I am new to this list. Please forgive me if this has already been addressed, but it seems like everyone knows the answer but me. :-(

The Organizer seems to be a separate but useful program, for tagging and cataloging media. Here's my question:

Which is the preferred way to get the footage off my camera and onto my PC:

Import it from the camera into the Organizer OR

Import it directly into a Project?

If I use the first option, then when I go to start a project, I will have to use the Get Media function to pull the files from wherever the Organizer has put them on my hard drive. Where do I look for them?

Conversely, if I use the second option, and pull them directly into a project, then were does PE put the files, so I can pull them into the organizer for tagging?

Thanks, and sorry to be asking such a basic question, but I havent seen this spelled out anywhere.

Trainman 48

• 1. Re: Getting files from camcorder to PE
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>footage off my camera and onto my PC

How about a camera brand and model?

Tape camera or memory card or hard drive or ???

For a tape camera you use a Firewire cable

For all others connect with USB and use Windows Explorer (are you on Windows?) to copy the entire folder from the camera to your video hard drive, then import the files from that location on your hard drive

You do, of course, have at least TWO hard drives?  Boot drive for OS and all programs and a separate drive (never a partition!) for video files

• 2. Re: Getting files from camcorder to PE
            nealeh Level 5

Personally I always import to the Organizer from the camera. In your project, in the 'Media' view of the Organize tab, you should be able to see all the media in the Organizer.

1.png

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Getting files from camcorder to PE
              bmeredith1969 Level 1

I will throw in my two cents worth as well.

When I am working with DV or D8mm tapes I have cameras that have a firewire connecton on them and I import those using the Get Media tab in the Organizer.  If I am using an older format like VHS or VHS-C I have to usually put those in a VHS to DVD recorder I have, burn them over to DVD and then import the DVD in the same fashion using the organizer.

If your are using a DVD recorder camera, you may be also to simply put the DVD in your DVD drive on your computer and import in from there, or, in some cases) you may have to use the firewire since some DVD cameras use their own software and you can only import the DVD using the camera it was recorded in.

if it is a camera that uses an internal memory or an SD card, like someone said eariler, hooking the camera up with a USB cable is the best way to import the files.

I work with videos for a living and I have done all of the above formats.  I have even used PE to transfer old 8mm and 16mm files to DVD, using a special film to firewire adaptor of course.

Hope I helped.

• 4. Re: Getting files from camcorder to PE
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You definitely wanto to use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool to get the video off your camcorder.

But, as John indicates, which Get Media tool you use depends on what model and make of camcorder your using.