7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 5:03 PM by Jim_Simon

FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions

jules______

Hi,

I had a play with the trial, approaching it as i would the way I edit in FCP7. I changed the keystrokes which helped, but the following are things I couldn't see how to do, or if they can be done. I guess I don't need to be told how to do them all, just if these things can be done as I like to edit the way I like to edit and all these things are huge timesavers for me (and now a natural part of how I edit)... though if there are easy answers or links to tutorials, I wouldn't say no.

And sorry to be all 'well this works like this in FCP7. I'm not trying to compare the two, just trying to figure out a way forward from the X debacle.

Rendering.

in FCP I can highlight a certain amount of clips on the timeline, or even highlight a transition and render out only that with Apple-R. When I tried this in PPro it seemed to want to render everything.

Q1) Can I render out small portions of what I want to?

When I did render stuff in PPro and it got to say 30% complete I cancelled the render. When you do that in FCP you still have the 30% as rendered but that didn't appear to be the case in PPro and it appeared to revert back to nothing being rendered.

Q2) Can you stop a render process a % of the way through and the % it says had been done, actually be rendered on the timeline.

Copy/Paste

in FCP if I have a clip on V3 and I copy it, then paste it further along the timeline, it is pasted in V3 at the point the scrubber is. In PPro, when I copied from V3 and pasted it went to V1 unless I clicked the V3 track (i believe I did this) on the left hand side somewhere.

Q3) Do I have to constantly check which track I am choosing the paste to go on or can I set things up so that it simply pastes on the same track it was copied from?

I often copy a lot of attributes across to different clips. Mostly filters but sometimes motion. In FCP I had the keys Q, W, E set up for Copy, Paste Attributes and Clear Attributes (respectively). When you pasted attributes a pop up arose that let me select if it was filters, or opacity, or motion etc., that I wanted pasting.

I have managed to set up Q & W but there didn't appear to be a clear attributes option. There was clear but it deletes a clip. Also when I pasted attributes it didn't give me any choices so I am assuming everything gets pasted (had no filters on to see). Also, my Q (copy) is actually what was CTR-C as opposed to Copy Attributes (which is what I had in FCP).

Q4) Is there a Copy Attributes rather than just Copy?

Q5) Is there a Clear Attributes?

Q6) Can I set it up so I choose what attributes are copies over?

Basically Q4 - 6 are can I set this up like I did in FCP as it was a real time saver?

Editing:

In FCP bb gives me a double blade which slices through everything over all tracks. I have also set up the ` key to cut everything on the fly as I am watching back footage (do live sessions on 6 cameras, set them up over 6 tracks then do an initial cut through all tracks to the beat).

Q7) Is there an equivalent of bb (double blade)?

Q8) Can I set things up with the ` key like I did in FCP (sorry, forgotton the name of the action, but it is there)?

When I toggle on the snap to in FCP, and I use the blade, when I get close to the play line (sorry, don't recall the real name... not very good with remembering proper nouns... but the vertical line which tells you where you are) then the blade snaps to the line so it is easy to cut exactly where the line is. I can't seem to make that happen here. It moves fluidly past it and so to make a frame accurate cut on the line means I'll have to zoom in to make sure I can see I am hovering above it which is a bit of a pain.

Q9) Can I snap to the vertical line whilst using the blade tool to make a quick accurate cut. 

In FCP hitting tttt gives me the option to highlight everything beyond where my mouse cursor is (to the right of the cursor) and pick it all up and shifting left or right along the timeline.

Q10) Can I do the FCP equivalent of tttt in PPro?

In FCP when I click on a clip in the timeline it is registered in the player and I can simply move the clip around the player, but in PPro clicking on a clip in the timeline doesn't appear to do that (at the moment, as in with how I have it configured) but rather I have to click on the clip in the player (strangely if i click on a clip in the player it highlights it in the timeline). This is important to me for speed but also because if I have a clip on V1 smaller in size to a clip on V2 but both in the same place, I have to move the clip on V2 out the way so I can see the clip on V1 in order to click it in order to be able to move it.

Q11) Can i set things up so that when I click on a specific clip in the timeline on whatever track it is, it is highlighted in the player so I can move it around instantly without having to reclick on the clip, or move other clips to find it and click on it.

ok, a lot i know, but as i said these are things that came to light when trying to edit the way I normally do. I'm assuming that the answers will be yes and I can carry on the way i do when i've learnt but if they are no i need to consider this and alternatives before moving over. I shall list the questions in one batch below in case someone wants to cut n paste them and answer them all (wishfull thinking:)?) though obviously they'll be out of context so may not all make sense as Qs qithout the blurb.

thanks in advance.

Q1)
      Can I render out small portions of what I want to?

Q2) Can you stop a render process a % of the way through and the % it says had been done, actually be rendered on the timeline.

Q3) Do I have to constantly check which track I am choosing the paste to go on or can I set things up so that it simply pastes on the same track it was copied from?

Q8) Can I set things up with the ` key like I did in FCP (sorry, forgotton the name of the action, but it is there)?

Q9) Can I snap to the vertical line whilst using the blade tool to make a quick accurate cut. 

Q11) Can i set things up so that when I click on a specific clip in the timeline on whatever track it is, it is highlighted in the player so I can move it around instantly without having to reclick on the clip, or move other clips to find it and click on it.

• 2. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
          Eric Addison User Group Manager

Q1) Can I render out small portions of what I want to?

Yes - adjust the work area bar above the timeline to render just the portion you want.

Yes - but, remember...Premiere Pro renders per clip, so if you have 5 clips on a timeline, it will render each of them one by one. If you stop midway through number 4, clips 1-3 are still rendered, but number 4 isn't...even if a PPro started on it.

I don't think so...maybe someone else here knows a way.

You can easily cut and paste effects (or filters as you FCP users may call them). There are a couple ways to do it. 1) you can click on the effect in the Effects Control window to select it, then hit Ctrl-C to copy it, then highlight the clips on the timeline you want to paste it to, and hit Ctrl-V - the effect is now on all those clips.  This works with multiple effects as well. But there isn't a Copy Attributes - unless it's been hiding from me! There is a Paste Attributes though - select a clip that has all the effects you want to copy and hit Ctrl-C, then highlight the clip(s) you want to paste the effects on, right click and choose Paste Attributes.

You can remove effects by right clicking on a clip and choosing Remove Effects - this will remove all effects on the clip.

Select the blade tool, and hold down the Shift key...the will cut all the video tracks under it.

I don't think so. What you could do, however, is as you're playing the timeline, hit the * key - that will place a marker that you can then go back later and make the cut...but as far as I know, PPro doesn't do what you describe.

If by vertical line you mean the CTI (Control Time Indicator - the blue line you move around the timeline), then lining it up where you want a cut, and then moving the blade tool over it will almost always give you the cut you want. PPro is really good about that. I don't know of a snapping tool you can turn on - PPro just does it.

I don't think there is a key stroke quite like that, but you can use the Track Select Tool in the tool bar...it's the one with the arrow pointed right and the dotted line box around it. Select that, move the cursor over the first clip of all the clips you want to move, and then click and drag - everything on that track will move. If you hold down the Shift Key, then the icon will change (two arrows), and you can now move everything in the timeline on all the tracks beyond the first clip you selected. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't think so, but then I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here....someone else may have to get this one.

Hope that helps!

If you get serious about wanting to learn PPro, check out Classroom in a Book: Premiere Pro CS5 - it's a great help for getting started.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
            jules______ Level 1

Eric, many thanks for your time on that. I'm going to sit with your answers and have a further play but it's good to see most of what I use is still there in some form.

I'll have to put in a request to Adobe for the ' feature. I get the marker thing and before i remapped in FCP used to do it like that, but the ' way is better. Still, never the end of the world and still better than X.

At the moment I am just trying to get a feel for 5.5 and see that i'm not going to freak out or throw my toys out the pram after spending a chunk of cash, but with the exception of my current graphics card being not good enough (in another post) it is boding well... and if/when i take the plunge i'll get a tutorial book at that point.

Thanks again for these.

• 4. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
              jules______ Level 1

Right, had a go. My impressions (pertaining to these Qs and As in comparison to FCP... if anyone is interested )

*Q1)* Can I render out small portions of what I want to?

Yes - adjust the work area bar above the timeline to render just the portion you want.

Yep, got it, though having to adjust that bar along the top seems quite cumbersome compared to simply looping my cursor over a batch of clips and rendering. Still, can be done. Ta

*Q2)* Can you stop a render process a % of the way through and the % it says had been done, actually be rendered on the timeline.

Yes - but, remember...Premiere Pro renders per clip, so if you have 5 clips on a timeline, it will render each of them one by one. If you stop midway through number 4, clips 1-3 are still rendered, but number 4 isn't...even if a PPro started on it.

Got it. I see what I was doing wrong before. I see that if I stop it during a specific clip though it doesn't partly render it.

*Q4)* Is there a Copy Attributes rather than just Copy?

*Q5)* Is there a Clear Attributes?

*Q6)* Can I set it up so I choose what attributes are copies over?

You can easily cut and paste effects (or filters as you FCP users may call them). There are a couple ways to do it. 1) you can click on the effect in the Effects Control window to select it, then hit Ctrl-C to copy it, then highlight the clips on the timeline you want to paste it to, and hit Ctrl-V - the effect is now on all those clips.  This works with multiple effects as well. But there isn't a Copy Attributes - unless it's been hiding from me!  There is a Paste Attributes though - select a clip that has all the effects you want to copy and hit Ctrl-C, then highlight the clip(s) you want to paste the effects on, right click and choose Paste Attributes.

You can remove effects by right clicking on a clip and choosing Remove Effects - this will remove all effects on the clip.

Got it. I don't programme so I have no idea how easy it is to add things, but having the Remove Effects mapable to the keyboard would help, and when you Paste Attributes being able to select which you paste, like you can select in PPro which you remove, would be great... just feels a bit limited in comparison to FCP. I see I can add all attributes (Motion and Effects) then remove the Motion for example if I don't want it, but...

*Q7)* Is there an equivalent of bb (double blade)?

Select the blade tool, and hold down the Shift key...the will cut all the video tracks under it.

Great. Got it, ta. Couldn't it be keyboard mappable too . Surely bb is better as one could then let go of the keyboard if doing a few cuts, rather than having to constantly hold the Shift key.

*Q8)* Can I set things up with the ` key like I did in FCP (sorry, forgotton the name of the action, but it is there)?

I don't think so. What you could do, however, is as you're playing the timeline, hit the * key - that will place a marker that you can then go back later and make the cut...but as far as I know, PPro doesn't do what you describe.

Shame, though i do see the workaround and used to do it before i worked out how to map that feature. Perhaps it will come in the future

*Q9)* Can I snap to the vertical line whilst using the blade tool to make a quick accurate cut.

If by vertical line you mean the CTI (Control Time Indicator - the blue line you move around the timeline), then lining it up where you want a cut, and then moving the blade tool over it will almost always give you the cut you want. PPro is really good about that. I don't know of a snapping tool you can turn on - PPro just does it.

Yes, I tried again and you are correct. As long as one is close to the CTI (cheers for giving it a name for me) it does indeed cut at the CTI. It's a bit strange as it doesn't snap to the CTI like it does in FCP, but upon reflection that makes it feel less like cutting with stabilizers

*Q10)* Can I do the FCP equivalent of tttt in PPro?

I don't think there is a key stroke quite like that, but you can use the Track Select Tool in the tool bar...it's the one with the arrow pointed right and the dotted line box around it. Select that, move the cursor over the first clip of all the clips you want to move, and then click and drag - everything on that track will move. If you hold down the Shift Key, then the icon will change (two arrows), and you can now move everything in the timeline on all the tracks beyond the first clip you selected. Is that what you're looking for?

Tried it, and yes, thank you, exactly what I meant, though again if i could map that to a key that would be better because as soon as you let go of Shift it switches back to 1 arrow. Still, different way of working I guess. Shift must become second nature to you where before I was used to not holding any keys down, just hitting the keys then doing stuff.

The only two questions I didn't have answered (and thanks again for resolving a chunk of them Eric) were:

*Q3)* Do I have to constantly check which track I am choosing the paste to go on or can I set things up so that it simply pastes on the same track it was copied from?

I don't think so...maybe someone else here knows a way.

*Q11)* Can i set things up so that when I click on a specific clip in the timeline on whatever track it is, it is highlighted in the player so I can move it around instantly without having to reclick on the clip, or move other clips to find it and click on it.

I don't think so, but then I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here....someone else may have to get this one.

Yeah, sorry, guess I didn't explain it well. I'll try with a real life example. I have footage from 6 cameras synced up on V1-6. I reduce the size of the clip on V6 to 35%. I want to move it to the bottom left of the player screen so I have to click on the clip in the player to be able to physically move it (rather than through the Effects Control panel). If I then paste the motion attributes to all the other video tracks then they will, obviously, be sitting exactly under the clip on V6.

So in FCP to move the clip on V1 I would click the clip in the timeline and in the player the clip would be highlighted (because it had been clicked on in the timeline) and therefore moveable, even if it is hidden underneath other clips in the player window. I can't manage to do that.

And sorry if this sound slike i'm moaning that it isn't like FCP. It's not that, it's just that some things do seem more logical or easier with the mapping to keys etc.. Obviously it's your software and you will do what you and your established users want, but I guess hearing these questions from me may give insight into how others edit using other systems (albeit these are based on my style and use of FCP) and grab some of the best bits from there for you. Just don't take the X for God's sake...

• 5. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Couldn't it be keyboard mappable too

The keyboard shortcuts tend to be given in the documentation, and they're also all in the keyboard customization dialog box. For example, the specific one that you asked about, for razoring through all tracks, is given here.

• 6. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
                  jules______ Level 1

Cheers Todd, yes Add Edit is the one I was talking about that I have mapped to `

Just found it and tested it and yes it does it but it seems to stop playing when i add the edit. I tend to use it when cutting to the beat of music so want it to keep running on, can it do that?

Cheers

• 7. Re: FCP7 to PPro 5.5 - a chunk of questions
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Q3) Do I have to constantly check which track I am choosing the paste to go on

Yes.

Huh?  If you double click on a clip in a sequence, it will be opened in the Source Monitor, where you can play, scrub, set In and Out points, create clip markers, etc.  But you can't actually move the clip in the sequence from there.  You have to actually move the clip in the sequence.