I just tested a couple of cross references, one with insert as hyperlink ticked and one not.
In the second page of the import dialog I clicked Edit and ticked Convert References to Hyperlinks.
Cross references to a bookmark worked for me.
Try testing in a simple document and a test project.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Thanks for the comments. At your suggestion, I was able to get it to work in a small project using a 3-4 page Word document. However it still would not work in my larger project. I noticed that in the large project there were bookmarks that did work to a point in the document andintermittent there after. I went into the Word document to the first failure and re-inserted a new bookmark with the same name hoping it would have a positive result. The results were the same.
However when I inserted a bookmark with a different name, RoboHelp9 was able to recognize the bookmark and would convert to a link. I went through the Word document and created new bookmarks for the ones that did not work (a big task indeed). Now I am able to use the Word document as the source rather than having to edit the HTML in RoboHelp. This is good. Now only if I can get the footnotes to behave the same way....
Granted, I don’t know why a set of the original bookmarks were not working when they worked in other format conversions (Acrobat -> pdf, Word->HTML, XPS), but I can move on. Possibly it has something to do with Window 7 x64….
But, thanks for the input; it put me on a workable path.