11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 3:02 PM by Shawn4G

thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x

bkboy2k5 Level 1

i got premiere pro cs5.5 month ago and for some reason it doesnt seem that great. i mean if you have a mac this program really doesnt seem to be for us. i mean the fact of having to spend hundreds of dollars on this program then spending hundreds more on a card to get accellerated processing. then every time you ask a question about affter affects you given a link to a page about the basics, but that doesnt help you with a program that is super hard to learn. also your footage looks great in premeire until you export it to youtube or vimeo and it looks like utter garbage. is there any reason why i should stay with premiere? can my fellow mac users tell me?

macpro qoaud core

10 gb ram

ati card.

• 1. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
          kwompus Level 1

We have FCP at work.  They are both based on the same principles - if you use Photoshop or AE's adobe has made them fairly seemless...you won't get that work flow w/ FCP.  The 'animation' software w/ FC is very basic, AE blows it away, but AE also takes some time to learn.  I have CS5 w/ the accelerated card and for the first time in a while I am finding PP very stable.

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
            medeamajic Level 2

PP CS 5.5 will give you a lot of realtime in software only mode provided you have a Quad Core. I am willing to bet you will get as much realtime with CS 5.5 as you would with FCP X. My render quality is fantastic and Premiere also includes Encore.

[Inappropriate content deleted]

• 3. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              i mean if you have a mac this program really doesnt seem to be for us.

Moving to PP is only half the process.  Come back all the way and move to Windows 7.

Things work well here.  You get good stability, and better performance for less money.

• 4. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                dukeorock

I'm a total newbie to Premiere, and a mac user, but so far it's gone without a hitch...no crashes, no issues...I have a brand new MacBookPro quad core...haven't bought any accelarator cards or anything...have 8gig of RAM...I've loaded around 3 hours of footage so far...editing a 30 minute interview, adding text, cutaways, b-roll, etc...but the only problems I've encountered are my lack of experience with this program and NLE's in general

• 5. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                  lasvideo Level 4

Im glad to hear of your positive expereince. It sounds like your Mac is doing great with Premiere Pro.

• 6. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                    dukeorock Level 1

I haven't exactly put it through it's paces...still learning as I go, but...import was fast and easy...cuts fine, adding text and b-roll...everything has been quite smooth...gonna do some exports tomorrow and see how that part goes. I subscribe to a website called lynda.com which has tons of tutorials...that's been a big help.

• 7. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                      lasvideo Level 4

Yes, I just went thru the PrP tutorials on Lynda.com myself. Good basic info. I then kicked it up a notch by getting Richard  Harringtons "An Editors Gudie to Adobe Premiere Pro" which is meant for guys like me that have been doing this for a while.   ;-)

• 8. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                        Stanley Arthur Level 3

@bkboy2k5... Thanks. I needed a good laugh after watching the USA womens soccer team self destruct in the World Cup final. It has been said that comedy is based on tragedy. With that in mind, your topic is the funniest thing I've read in quite some time, grammar notwithstanding.

• 9. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                          dukeorock Level 1

@lasvideo

Curious to hear your thoughts on that other tutorail...the lynda.com stuff got me started for sure...very basic though...still have some unanswered questions.

• 10. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                            lasvideo Level 4

Dukerock, like I said, Im really enjoying the depth of information in the book and the 5.5 gig +  project files that add to and go beyond what is in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

• 11. Re: thinking of switching from premeire to fcp x
                              Shawn4G Level 1

Hi Bkboy,

I have a Mac Pro dual quad core with 6 gigs of ram. I just switched my video card to a Nvidia card (big increase in performance in premiere) and I am gradually switching over to Premiere Pro CS5.5 from FCP7 after the introduction of iMovie Pro.. I mean Final Cut Pro x .  Premiere Pro is missing some things that FCP7 had but it also has somethings that I wish FCP7 had.  Hopefully, the missing features or features that need a little fine tuning will be addressed soon, which I think they will, as Adobe has the chance to take over the market if they really jump on fixing or adding some of the things that Final Cut Pro excelled at over Premiere.  I think the answer to your question is what are you going to be using your editing software for.

If it's for basic stories that don't require a high level of overlayed video with multiple layers of text and graphics and composited video, and you don't plan on going back to fine tune your piece then final cut pro x will probably be fine.  If you need to do more complex graphically intense projects that you want to really sculpt and refine then I'd say you want to stay away from Final Cut Pro X.  I have used Final Cut Pro X and while it is fast from a processing standpoint, the lack of customization options, the "one size fits all" interface approach and the lack of control when organizing your media as well as the lack of control over video and audio while you're editing is a major disadvantage, the list of problems goes on and on. Its like giving a painter  who is used to having complete control of their canvas a coloring book and crayons and telling them they can't color outside the lines.  In my opinion, all of these issues out way the "out of the box" processing performance on your mac with FCPX.

That's just my opinion.

Shawn

1 person found this helpful