2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2011 4:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Organiser in Premiere Elements is driving me utterly mad

schuit1963

I have both Photoshop and Premiere Elements 9 on my system. With Photoshop I 'organise ' a large selection of foto's, around 13.000. Those are located on a windows home server in my gigabit network.

When I start Premiere, it opens that catalogue and the system slows down to a crawl. It takes minutes to start a new project. When I add video to my project, it adds it to the photo catalogue so the video shows up when I use Photoshop to manage my photos. I do not want that. I want Premiere not to open any catalogue. Ever. Iwant to start a video project, import video, work on it, export, delete the video source files. I want to use Premiere Elements standalone. I do not want to sue a catalogue, or library, or whatever. I want to see the files I add to the project, nothing else.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Organiser in Premiere Elements is driving me utterly mad
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those photos are not in your Premiere Elements project, if they appear on the Organize or Media panel. The only media files in your project are those in the Project panel.

The Organize or Media panel is merely a preview window to your Organizer's catalogs.

There is no reason the program should struggle or slow to a crawl because of photos are any files that appear in your Organizer catalog. At least not after the first time you open the program. There must be something else going on that's slowing down your machine.

• 2. Re: Organiser in Premiere Elements is driving me utterly mad
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve has answered the use of Import and the Project Panel, plus some background on Organize and Organizer.

One comment that I can make is that your editing experience will be greatly improved, if you Copy the necessary Assets to a local drive, from your NAS. Just Copy over the Assets that you need, and then Import them FROM the local HDD. Even with a dual-NIC and double Gigabit connection, editing to/from a NAS will always be painfully slow.

I use one for archiving my Images, Videos, and similar, and always Copy the material over to an internal HDD. Edits so very smoothly that way.

Good luck,

Hunt