8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 9:21 AM by bmeredith1969

Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?

bmeredith1969 Level 1

Hey guys, I hate to post a question that might have already been answered, but I did look though the posts for an answer and didn't see one.

But, my question is this.  I just built a new video editing workstation.  It is running Windows 7 Ulitmate 64 bit with 9GB of DDR3 RAM.

I also put in a 64GB Solid State HD as the main drive and have been putting only the OS on it.

I have a 2TB SATA drive as a second slave drive and I have been putting my program files, documents, photos and videos on this drive.

I want to set PE9 up in the best, most efficient way on the drives and I am not sure of where to install the program, where to set up the projects to work on them or where to (or if I can) set up a "scratch folder" for the rendering and encoding to be done.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and by all means, if this has already been covered before, please just point me to that link.

THANKS!

• 1. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your set-up so far is spot on!

Program files on the C drive. Media and project files on your second drive.

• 2. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
            bmeredith1969 Level 1

Thanks Steve,

I also found this article on the PE Hardware Forums

it basically confirmed what i was doing (although he suggests three drives, one for OS and programs, one for projects and videos and one for pagefile/scratch/rendering.

But, i posted this link cause he also mentions to turn off indexing and NTFS compression (both on by default in Windows 7) and he mentions moving the pagefile to another disk other than the boot disk and removing it off the boot disk.

He also gives several other tips that I found useful.

Right now I have Premiere Elements 9 on my 2nd disk, so I am going to remove it and put it on my solid state, or would do you think I could try this procedure.  Keep my OS on the solid state, leave the PE9 program on the slave 2TB SATA, and make a folder on my solid state for rendering/encoding and keep my projects and videos on the 2TB slave.

in other words

64GB SSD  = OS and folder for rendering/encoding

2TB SATA   = PE9 Program, Projects/Videos and OS Pagefile

What do you think?

• 3. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I was going to post the link to Harm's article, but you have already found it.

Though there have been some hardware improvements, since he first posted it, with the replies to it, most have been addressed.

I have no argument with any aspect of Harm's article.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
                bmeredith1969 Level 1

so, since i have a solid state 64GB as my main (C) drive with the OS on it and my 2TB (F) slave drive, would i get the best performance by putting the PE9 program on the C drive and use the C drive as a scratch drive and put videos and projects on the F drive?

or

put the program on the F drive along with the videos and projects and just use the C drive as the OS and scratch drive \

or is there another better way?

I just wanna set it up right before i start using it full time.

• 5. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This wil take some testing.

I did the same with my two setups, and found that having my Page File on C:\ and D:\ on the workstation was faster, while having the Page File on E:\ was fastest on the laptop. It just depends.

As for programs, most Adobe programs want to be on C:\.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
                    bmeredith1969 Level 1

Thanks Bill

I ended up putting the program on the solid state C drive with the OS and put the videos and the projects on the slave 2GB SATA drive.

I went into the program and set my rendering, encoding and scratch to a folder I created on the solid state drive.

I am about to start a pretty big project (a 2 hour concert video with three camera angles and an audio track) so, I will see how that goes and report back my results.

• 7. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, ensure that all of your hard drives are formatted NTFS or you'll never be able to work with a video file that big!

That said, a bigger determiner than how your drives are set up is how your project files are set up.

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from?

It's vital that, when you set up your Premiere Elements project, you select project settings that perfectly match your source footage. You'll know you've got it rigth because, when you place your clips on your timeline, there will be NO RED LINES above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them.

If this is not the case, you will very likely have problems later.

• 8. Re: Best Hard Drive Set-up for PE9 Premiere Elements 9?
                        bmeredith1969 Level 1

Yes they are ntfs and my video is in avi format from a samsung recorded on an internal sd card.  No red lines above the files in the timeline. So far so good. 

Sent from my Samsung Intercept™