5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 12:39 PM by MichaelKazlow

zip files

hughcummings

I am using adobe reader 10 on windows vista,why when I receive a document as a zip file I cannot open it

Would appreciate any info

Regards

Hughie

• 1. Re: zip files
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Are you talking about PDF files that have been zip compressed? If so, have you decompressed them before trying to open them? And have you copied them to your HD before doing anything?

• 2. Re: zip files
            hughcummings Level 1

Thanks Claudio

The pop-up says its an unsupported file type,dont know how to decompress the file,any ideas,it is a PDF

Regards

Hugh

• 3. Re: zip files
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I think I'm not quite following you. Right click on its icon, and choose decompress all if it's a zip file, or open with -> Reader if it's a PDF.

• 4. Re: zip files
                hughcummings Level 1

when I right click on the icon it doesn,t give me an option to decompress and when I try to open it with Reader it says file unsupported

To: hugh cummings  [email address deleted by host]

Sent: Sunday, 17 July 2011, 14:59

Subject: Adobe Reader zip files

I think I'm not quite following you. Right click on its icon, and choose decompress all if it's a zip file, or open with -> Reader if it's a PDF.

• 5. Re: zip files
                  MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Zip files cannot be read in the ordinary sense. They are compressed files. People frequently compress files before sending them as emails. If you right-click on the file, there should be a choice to de-compress the file. After the file has been decompressed, you should be able to open it in a program to read it. For example, if the file was a compressed pdf file, then the zipped file might be named: "file.zip". After de-compressing, you should have another file named perhaps, "file.pdf". The file.pdf can be opened in Reader by either double-clicking or directly from Reader using the File->Open menu item.