7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 12:29 AM by LouWrench

Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?

LouWrench Level 1

I know that this is not an InDesign question! But it applies to any of the Adobe apps.

I have just done a simple job in Acrobat a 4 colour book backed by 4 colours changed to 4 colours backrd by one colour, to reduce printing costs!

all I had to do was replace every other colour spread with a black and white spread. A bit labourious but no problem! The problem is the book is 128pp there are 3 different versions and they are in 11 languages. A Photoshop type "Actions" would be wonderful.

Lou

• 1. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Is this an Acrobat question or an InDesign question? If Acrobat, then ask in the Acrobat forum and give more information such as your OS and version of Acrobat. If InDesign, then there are no recordable actions but there are scripts. There is a forum for scripting that you may find helpful.

• 2. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
            LouWrench Level 1

As I said in the first line, I know it is an Acrobat question, not an InDesign one, but the question applies to Adobe! I asked on the ID forum because I have great faith in you guys! (I did post on the Acrobat forum) What I am asking is... Is there a 'Actions" type facility that can be used in Adobe apps? I remember Quickeys from years ago, but that feels too 'clever for itself' these days, Actions is quick, easy and straight forward to use.

• 3. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
              LouWrench Level 1

Sorry! OS 10.6.8   CS 5

Lou

• 4. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
                John Hawkinson Level 5
                As I said in the first line, I know it is an Acrobat question, not an InDesign one, but the question applies to Adobe!

You must know this sentence makes no sense. Anyhow:

What I am asking is... Is there a 'Actions" type facility that can be used in Adobe apps?

Every app is different. There is no "Actions" -type facility in InDesign.

What you want can be accomplished with scripting, but you'll need to spell out a lot more clearly the precise sequence of operations you need done on each page, and then we can tell you how to do it. A screenshot will likely help.

• 5. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
                  LouWrench Level 1

Years ago I used a package called Quickeys, that worked just like 'Actions' in any App on the Mac but it has lost its eligant simplicity, so I am hoping for an alternative! If there isn't one I will just have to go back to Quickeys

Thanks for your help

Lou

• 6. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
                    mckayk_777 Level 2

Ah to have actions in indesign, what a joy this would be, but...

As far as I have heard there will never be actions in indesign it seems adobe is to busy to even consider this option. (just a little challenge aimed at adobe)

Scripting is the way but if you are not able to script your stuck. This has been a thorn in my side for a long time. (Just can't get my head around how it's done)

Photoshop actions are great and a lot of what I do in photoshop is with actions.

The closest you come to actions in indesign is with "Object>Transform Again> nice but very limited

• 7. Re: Photoshop actions in other Adobe apps?
                      LouWrench Level 1

Hi mckayk

I have gone back to new version of an old favourite, "Quickeys"  from Startley. This is a realy good and comprehensive Actions type program but it works across all applications. Try a demo!

Lou