5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 7:50 AM by Nash_John

Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was

jonbal Level 1

I recently purchased/upgraded from Premiere Elements 5 to Premiere Elements 9 and I cannot open the projects in version 9 that were created with version 5. It shows it as offline. I get a message to open up a file and when I do i receive the error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was created with 2 audio channels. Can someone help me or tell what I am doing wrong?  All of my projects that were completed in version 5 cannot be opened up in version 9.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds as though the Clips contain 5.1 Audio (6 channels), and when they were Imported into the older version of PrE, they were seen as stereo (2 channel). As there was no PrE 5, I suspect that you have PrE 4, or PrE 7. I would guess that the older version of PrE did not see the 6-channel Source Audio in the files.

This is one reason that it is almost always best to complete a Project in the version of PrE, in which it was started.

What are the full specs. of those Source Files?

One option would be to start a New Project, Import the 6-channel files into it, and then Share as stereo (2-channel), giving the file the same name, and locating it in a different folder. Then, back in the older Project, Link to those output files.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was
            jonbal Level 1

It was actually PrE 3.  My mistake, looked at the wrong case.  The projects were already created and completed in v3.

How do you find the specs of the source files?

How do you do the italiicized tasks:

One option would be to start a New Project, Import the 6-channel files into it, and then Share as stereo (2-channel), giving the file the same name, and locating it in a different folder. Then, back in the older Project, Link to those output files.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was
              the_wine_snob Level 9

To find out the specs. of about any AV file, one can use G-Spot, or MediaInfo, both of which are free.

As for outputting to stereo, PrE will only output to stereo, so if one created a New Project, and if they do have DD 5.1 SS Audio (6-channel), choose one of the Presets for that Audio. Then, either with, or without editing, one would go to Share, and choose the appropriate output format, and settings. This woud ONLY be if you need to use those DD 5.1 SS files in the old PrE 3 Projects.

Now, if you do not need to use those original Source Files in the PrE 3 Projects, there is no need to go through those steps. Just create a New Project w/ appropriate Audio, and Import those files, ready for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was
                jonbal Level 1

Bill,

I ran G-Spot on one of the files and here it what I have:

DVD "VOB" format
                MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
                Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

I guess I am really confused.  The project that I am trying to open PrE 9 was completed in PrE 3 w/templates , scenes, etc. The movie was burned to a DVD.  I cannot understand why I cannot open it with a newer version of PrE.  According to G-Spot (I am assuming this is what you mean above), it is already in 2 channels.  To me this should be ok.  I put many, many hours into these videos and now it seems all for not.

Here is what I did so far:

I uploaded the required media files to a new project in PrE9 and let them index and conform.  I saved the project with the same name in a different location.  Do I have to do this to the project files and/or the original media files?  Confusion starts here.

The next step is where I am confused.  I do not know if I am proceeding in the right direction from here.  There is the share tab in the upper right hand corner.  Is this what you are talking about?  I am truly lost from here.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Error message: The selected file cannot be linked because it has 6 audio channel(s) and the clip was
                  Nash_John Level 3

This problem occurs beacuse as Bill said that in your older PrE the audios of your files was seen as 2-channel rather than 5.1,

and now when you open with PrE9, it recognizes that files are 5.1(6 channel) and gives you media offline and the message you mentioned.

The solution is

You should create a new 5.1 project and import your file(that you are not able to link to your older project) into this new project, and go to Share and export the audio of this file as a 2-channel.

Now again open your previous project and link to this new audio you created.