0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2011 1:54 PM by LenAnderson

Acrobat 8 Standard Install in MS 7 OS obliterates extension?

LenAnderson

Had to change desktop boxes due to HD failure.  New Lenovo box worked fine, had backups.  Using Adobe-purchased software, tried to load Acrobat 8 Standard in new box Vista.  Installation shows popup box saying a DLL is missing (C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Adobe\Acrobat8.0\AcrobatXtras\AdobePDF\i386).  Unable to find it in Browse, selected Cancel and rest of install went OK (I thought).  After Installation, Desktop shows important icons with Adobe Logo.  Clicking on those shows the Acrobat screen ("unable to find file...etc") and won't load other programs such as AOL, MSPaint, LTSpice, etc, any program that begins with an .EXE file extension.  UNInstalling using Vista Control Panel returns the proper Logos.

Acrobat 8 Standard was purchased in late January 2008 and worked fine under XP Operating System.  There is no way (so far) that I can find HOW to rectify this problem with 7 Home Premium (bundled with new box).  It worked OK on wife's XP computer also.  Trying a Trial version of Acrobat X results in the same problem on this MS 7 OS...all .EXE file extensions get changed to .PDF with appropriate warning boxes from Acrobat.  I CAN use Acrobat X READER okay, no problems.  Please help on this.

LenAnderson