5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 5:27 AM by Peter Spier

Page number question

Dina Blaes

Page numbers are not transferring consistently from master pages.  Also, some pages in the 'pages' window have () around them while others don't.  Those with () do not show page numbers on right hand page of two-page spread.  Can anyone tell me what is happening and how I might go about fixing the problem?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: Page number question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The parentheses around the page numbers indicates the spread is set not to shuffle.

There are basically three primary possibilities for why a page number would not show: A master without a number marker is applied, the marker is obsured by something else on the page (master objects are behind any objects onthe document page on the same layer), or the marker was overridden and deleted. If it's not one of those, we're going to need a lot more information.

• 2. Re: Page number question
            Dina Blaes Level 1

Thank you.  I will check on those situations and get back to you.

--

Dina

• 3. Re: Page number question
              Dina Blaes Level 1

Peter,

Checked layers - everything in the proper order, still no numbers on several

document pages.

Rebuilt the page number marker on the master page causing problems - still

no numbers on several document pages.

Over-riding or deletion of the markers would have to occur on the master or

the document?  I did not intentionally override anything so this may be the

problem. Though perhaps not because several pages within the document using

the master in question are showing the right page numbers correctly and

others are not.

More information? What do you need?  Thanks.

--

Dina

• 4. Re: Page number question

Best thing would be to post the sample file someplace so I can download it, otherwise we're chasing butterflies for awhile to figure it out. You can post a link here, or put it in a private message (come back to the web page and click my name to go to my profile, Private Message is in the Actions on the right) if you don't want to share with the world. I don't need the links or fonts to find this type of problem.

And a reminder, when you respond by email you are still posting on the web. Please turn off the auto-quote  or delete the original content unless you need part of it for clarity. I'll remove it from your last two posts for you (it has your email address in it).

• 5. Re: Page number question

Oh, and in order to override a master item you would Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) + Shift + Click on it on the document page.