8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 2:36 PM by Luzie_8

How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?

Luzie_8

Hello

I have a book about 700 Pages already been printed a couple of times in A4 size,

Now the sponsor can only print it in max 8"x10.5"

This means the entire Book/file needs to be adjusted to this new size  in order to get it printed.

I need to know what is the best option to do this.

Can this be automadet in Indesign or trough the export via printing?

I am very thankful for any help and advice.

• 1. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've moved your thread out of feature requests and into the main discussion area where it will have more people seeing it.

First off, what did you deliver for printing before? PDF or native files? Second, what version of InDesign, and what Operating System?

The simplest method, if you delivered a PDF, might be to just scale the PDF to fit the new page size in the print dialog, but with most printers you only have "fit to printable area" available so things are reduced more than necessary to put your exisiting margins inside the printer margins.

If that's not a good solution, or you don't have the PDF, we need to know if you want to scale EVERYTHING to fit the new page size, includiing the text, or if you want to preserve the text size and alter the layout completley to the new size, possibly changing the text flow and the number of pages.

• 2. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
            Luzie_8 Level 1

thank you!

the  first print was made online and we submitted a PDF.

It is an Artist book with Images and Text which vary.

The new printer his asking us to change the size of the file in order to print it.

Sinze this perticular Artistbook publisher is limited regarding the sizes of the prints.

The Maximum is 8"x 10.5"

I thougth there is a way to automate and rescale the entire document.

We want to shrink everything Page size and content at the same time to avoid changes of page numbers ect.

• 3. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
              Luzie_8 Level 1

I work in Indesign CS3

• 4. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?

You can place the pages from the original PDF into a new .indd file. Use the script here: http://indesignsecrets.com/downloads/PDFplacer.zip with CS3 to automate placement and scaling of the entire PDF in one go.

You'll need to first unzip the file, then install it in the scripts palette (for directions on doing that, see How to install scripts in InDesign | InDesignSecrets). To run it, double-click it inthe palette

• 5. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
                  Luzie_8 Level 1

I will do it and let you know how it went.

thank you!

• 6. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
                    Luzie_8 Level 1

the PDF placer worked fine. Thank you!!

now I have another question.  How can I convert single color pages in my in desgin documetn into black and white?

many Thanks

• 7. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?

Rather than ask you for more details here, I'm going to suggest that this is so far from related to the original question that you should start a new thread. tellus exactly what you mean by "single color pages," whether you mean convert for final output and wish to leave the color intact in the document during editing or for multipurposing, the version of ID, etc.

• 8. Re: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?
                        Luzie_8 Level 1

I appologize this Forum is confusing to me.

I posted a new question in a new thread.

I am working on a book in Indesign.I have 740 pages in total. I have black and white and color pages meaning Images.I converted the black and white images in Photoshop to Grayscale files, before I imported the imges into in design. As

to reduce printing costs my printer asked me to make sure these single

pages are safed as either color or black and white pages,so the printer will recognice those pages and will print those according to their color/ black and white profile of the images.I thought this will happen automatically since my photos, digital images are either in color or grayscale.Apperently this did not happen.My printer just told me all pages are having color profiles.So I wonder is there a way in Indesign to give single seperate pages of my bookdifferent

color or b/w profiles? so the printer who will recieve a PDF from me

does prints bacl and white in a black and white modus.

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:41:32 -0600

To: violayesiltac@hotmail.com

Subject: How can I print my A4 Book now in 8"x10.5"? RESIZE?

Rather than ask you for more details here, I'm going to suggest that this is so far from related to the original question that you should start a new thread. tellus exactly what you mean by "single color pages," whether you mean convert for final output and wish to leave the color intact in the document during editing or for multipurposing, the version of ID, etc.

>