4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 4:32 PM by dirjud

Flex Apps Appear Blank in Most Browsers

dirjud

I am compiling swf files using flex-4.5.1 from the command line in Linux. The applications work fine using the 'flashplayerdebugger' app that is in included in the flex release. They also work fine on in Firefox 3.6.17 on Linux. However, every other browser I have tried on both linux and windows (e.g. Firefox 4, Chrome, IE, etc) fails to work. The blank/white screen or object appears. I can right-click on the application and see the flash player context menu, but none of the GUI elements appear.

For example, if I compile this hw.mxml file:

<s:Application xmlns:s ="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark">
        <s:Button label="Hello World"/>
      </s:Application>

using the command:

mxmlc hw.mxlm

The resulting hw.swf file plays fine in flashplayerdebugger and firefox 3.6.17 but plays as a white object in all other browswers I have tested.

Anyone know why?

• 1. Re: Flex Apps Appear Blank in Most Browsers
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Same player versions in all cases?

• 2. Re: Flex Apps Appear Blank in Most Browsers
            dirjud Level 1

There are different player versions on every different machine, and in general flash player works on each of the different platforms I am testing my application on (e.g., hulu, you tube, etc. work fine on all the machines I am testing with, but the only browser where my app works in the Linux Firefox 3.6.17 with shockwave flash 10.3 r181).

I try the same swf file in the following browsers/machines, and here is what I get:

Works:

• Linux 32b Firefox 3.6.17 Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
            • Linux 64b flashplayerdebugger v 10,2,159,1
            • Linux 32b flashplayerdebugger v 10,2,159,1

Doesn't Work (blank screen):

• Linux 64b Firefox 5.0  Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162
            • Linux 64b Chromium 12.0.728.0 Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162
            • Windows XP, IE 8.0.6001.18702 Shockwave Flash 10,1,82,76
            • Windows XP, Firefox 4.0.1 Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102

Is there some sort of console or something that I can use when in a browser to see if an error message are being printed or to add some trace statements?

• 3. Re: Flex Apps Appear Blank in Most Browsers
              Flex harUI Adobe Employee

See if the debugger will attach and set breakpoints on

LayoutManager.as:doPhasedInstantiation.  A typical app calls it about a

dozen times before showing up on screen.

• 4. Re: Flex Apps Appear Blank in Most Browsers
                dirjud Level 1

I have found that my app works in all the browswers when I compile with flex version 4.1.0. When I compile with 4.5.1, however, no gui elements appear and I get a blank screen.

I don't seem to need anything that 4.5.1 offers over 4.1.0, so for now I will work with 4.1.0 so I can push forward.