3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 8:13 AM by Neptunesalad1

Snap to timeline?

Neptunesalad1

Being a recent FCP ex-pat, I'm constantly trying to make Premiere Pro work like FCP did. One place which I find almost identical, but just different enough to confuse me is the snapping behavior. It can be used to snap one clip to another, but can it be used to snap to the timeline? For instance, if I have the playhead parked on a frame and I want to use the razor tool to put a cut on that exact frame, can I do it? I've been putting a cut close to that playhead, then using the roll edit tool to make it land on the frame where the playhead is parked, but I'm hoping there's a faster way to do it.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Snap to timeline?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          ...I have the playhead parked on a frame and I want to use the razor tool to put a cut on that exact frame, can I do it?

You can use this keyboard shortcut instead of the razor tool:

Cut at current time indicator (playhead)

Ctrl-k (win)

Command-k (mac)

• 2. Re: Snap to timeline?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Keyboard shortcuts work great, but they do require that you use the target track indicators--that's a common gotcha with Premiere Pro users, both new and seasoned. The razor is a little more direct.

Technically, you shouldn't have to worry about snapping the razor to the playhead. It has sort of a built-in "proximity sensor" that will automatically cut at the playhead if you position the tool close enough. Of course, it's somewhat dependent on the zoom level of the sequence, but most of the time, you should be able to cut where you want if you click close enough to the playhead.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Snap to timeline?
              Neptunesalad1 Level 1

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed.