6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2011 9:51 AM by austinheadley

Span columns problem with Table of Contents order

austinheadley

Hello,

I'm having a strange issue with headings that span columns and Table of contents order. My document has a heading paragraph in a coloured box, which is then inserted in-line into a 2-column text box. The paragraph style for the box (set to in-line) is set to span all columns, so that the 2-columned text doesn't get messed up.

When I create a table of contents, the Heading style that is inside the coloured box is being picked up fine, but even though it is inserted before the headings below it, it is showing up after the level 2 headings, instead of before.

I have confirmed that the insertion of the blue bar is before the text below it, as when I remove the span columns option, the TOC works as it is supposed to. Is this a bug?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

• 1. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try moving the anchored frame further to the left and add some paragraph left indent, and also make sure the anchor is before the other heading.(can't see where it'ts anchored in the screen grab...)

• 2. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order
            austinheadley Level 1

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The only way I could move the inline box to the left was to make a custom anchor and change the X value, this did not affect the TOC unfortunately. I also checked the location of the invisible marker indicating the location of the inline text box, and it is definitely before the heading that follows. I confirmed this by removing the span columns option for that paragraph, and the TOC displayed properly after doing that, meaning there is likely some problem with the span columns option not properly recognizing the order of content.

Regards,

• 3. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order

I haven't had occasion to play much with span columns, and never used it in a project with a TOC, so I'm shooting in the dark here. Is there a reason that heading is anchored instead of just part of the running text? You can creat the blue bar by using a paragraph rule set to the appropriate width and offset, and if necessary you can adjust the alignment of the Roman numeral using baseline shift (best applied by character style as a nested style or numbered list style option in the paragraph style assigned to the heading).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order
                austinheadley Level 1

Hey those are some great suggestions, thank you.

Is there a way to round the corners of the rule, though? If not, I may still have to create an in-line rectangle for the background.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order

I didn't notice the rounded corners. I think you 'll need to add a filled frame as an inline anchored object. This is a little tricky, though.

Add a paragraph ahead of the actual heading (set the Keep options to Keep with next) and anchor the bar in that paragraph so it can be behind the following text. Set the leading for the heading to zero (only works for a single line -- if you need two or more lines in the heading set them with the regualr leading, then select the entire first line and reset the leading to zero as an override), then drag the bar downwards.

• 6. Re: Span columns problem with Table of Contents order
                    austinheadley Level 1

I just wanted to update this topic in case anyone does a search and wants another solution:

Tables.

If the design permits, you can use an in-line table, using the individual cells like text boxes. This picks up the TOC order properly, whereas an in-line text box does not.