4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2011 9:03 PM by Neofilm

Jittery Slo Mo: Deinterlace and Progressive Scan

Neofilm Level 1

Alrighty, I just finished a wedding video and the parts where I created slow motion are really jittery. The cameras I am using are 1080i. So, I've found that I should have deinterlaced. My first question is, since I've already edited everything is it ok to just right click each clip and set them to "always deinterlace" just the clip that I've cut? For example, the clip titled 107009 is about an hour long, but I've cut it up and the part of it where there is slo motion is only peice of that long clip.

My next question is, provided it's ok to just "always deinterlace" one part of a clip, do I render the whole project as "progressive scan"? I like starting off with rendering out as MPEG2-DVD and select the preset Match Source Attributes (highest quality) . But, in my mind, it seems weird to have a deinterlaced clip mixed in with interlaced clips. So, do I fix that by then changing the "Field Order" to "None: Progressive"?

Also, could I simply do just one of these things instead of both? Like, just change the field order to progressive scan instead of selecting each clip to always deinterlace?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Jittery Slo Mo: Deinterlace and Progressive Scan
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can select Always Deinterlace for the slomo's

Do not use Match Source Attributes it does not use the correct settings.

If you want your whole movie deinterlaced you can set the export settings to No Fields, no need to do the clips.

• 2. Re: Jittery Slo Mo: Deinterlace and Progressive Scan
            Neofilm Level 1

Thanks, but everything about "match source attributes" in the preset, not the check box above to the left of the preset, has been producing awesome results. This is just when I export out of premiere. Then in Encore it's transcoded I suppose to make it work on DVD, right? What's wrong with match source, what is the alternative?

I suppose "You can select Always Deinterlace for the slomo's" means I only need to select those particular clips that I've cut? Can you elaborate so I feel like I understand more what's happening. Does that result in a DVD with mixed results and effect anything?

And, as an alternative to just selecting the clips and always deinterlacing, can i simply just change the whole thing to no fields, will that fix all the slo motion clips without making them always deinterlace individually?

• 3. Re: Jittery Slo Mo: Deinterlace and Progressive Scan
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For Match Source Attributes AME will use the I frame only codec which is used for preview, this will downgrade the export quality.

Do some experimenting on the Always Deinterlace on the slomo's and No Fields on export and a mix setting. That is the only way to see what suits you best.

• 4. Re: Jittery Slo Mo: Deinterlace and Progressive Scan
                Neofilm Level 1

I feel I shouldn't have to experiment, although I did. I say I shouldn't have to because everyone knows what is good slow motion and what is horrible. The end result is horrible most of the time when doing it in post. Yes, deinterlacing helps, but no matter what I do I just can't seem to get it to work right so I took it out of the project. It would have been cool but it ends up being too jumpy looking no matter what I do. I assume maybe I'm going to slow with it, I don't know, I just know that it sucks. So, this feature in Adobe Premiere doesn't consistently look good at all. I did get it to work good a time or two, but other times it just sucks.