4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 8:08 AM by Colin Brougham

Confusing scale values of RED footage

Navarro Parker Level 3

I'm really confused how Premiere is displaying the scale value of RED footage in my timeline.

I create a new sequence using the RED 720p preset. I drag my 4K clip into the timeline and in the Motion tab, it's showing scale is 100% (???) If I scale it past 100%, it naturally looks pretty gruesome.

However if I use After Effects to scale a 4K image into a 720p comp and then Export as a Premiere Pro project, Premiere correctly shows the scale as 31%.

How do I get Premiere to display the correct scale value?

• 1. Re: Confusing scale values of RED footage
          JCBendock

It is my experience that when you drop a 4k R3d into a 720 or 1080 timeline that it gives you a 1:1 center crop and that you actually need to manually scale it down. Unlike in FCP were it will bring the media at a scaled percentage of the 4k, then you can scale up or into the frame.  I would suggest you check your original media in RedcineX and compare the compositions of the frame and see if it is not showing you a cropped 1:1 image. If this is the case the way i work around it is by creating a 4k to 1080 preset and drop it on my media as i add it.  Ideally adobe would include an import option to bring in media scaled to sequence and mabey they have with 5.5 i should know next week and will report back.

• 2. Re: Confusing scale values of RED footage
            Jim_Simon Level 8

How do I get Premiere to display the correct scale value?

It is.  Unless you have "Default scale to frame size" checked under Preferences>General, simply dropping the footage into the sequence doesn't scale it.  It just plops it in showing you the center with the rest cropped out. You'll have to scale it manually, or right click and select "Scale to Frame Size."

Also, conventional wisdom is to work in a sequence that matches your footage, then scale upon export.

• 3. Re: Confusing scale values of RED footage
              Navarro Parker Level 3

I'm pretty sure I can tell if a 4K image is getting cropped in a 720p canvas!   It's getting scaled and Premiere is calling it 100%. I'll post some screen shots showing this issue.

• 4. Re: Confusing scale values of RED footage
                Colin Brougham Level 6

See Jim's post below. This is what you're looking for:

scaletoframesize.png

Make sure that option is NOT checked. Alternatively, right-click a clip in the sequence and make sure that Scale to Frame Size is not checked there.