2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 1:36 PM by MCLMasterKey

Remove Extended Features with JavaScript?

MCLMasterKey

A LITTLE HISTORY:

At first I was manually trying to crop a PDF using the Document > Crop Pages option in Acrobat Pro.

However, it told me that I could not crop the document because the document "restricts some features to allow for extended features in Acrobat Reader" and that I should Save a Copy in order to remove the restrcitions and be able to crop the document.

That was fine and that did indeed work by saving a copy. And, I was then able to crop the document.

However, now I have been given hundreds of these documents to crop and they all have this "extended features" thing enabled on them.

I was going to write a JavaScript batch command to crop the files (which I have done for previous projects) but it wouldn't work (I assume because of the extended features).

Then I tried writing a javaScript to saveAs all the documents with the asCopy option set to true.

That did not seem to work either because when I then tried to crop one of the saveAs files, I got the same "extended features" error.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know how I can programmatically get around this problem? Can I disable "extended features" via JavaScript? Can I do some sort of save or exprto or something that will strip it out? Am I simply doing something wrong? Or, is it just not possible?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Mark

• 1. Re: Remove Extended Features with JavaScript?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure the error you got is becaues of the extended rights. Could you post your code, as well as the exact error message?

• 2. Re: Remove Extended Features with JavaScript?
            MCLMasterKey Level 1

I haven't even gotten to the code part yet.

Here is a word-for-word transcription of the error message:

This document restricts some Acrobat features to allow for extended features in Acrobat Reader. To create a copy of the document that is not restricted (and has no extended features in Adobe Reader), click Save a Copy.

This is an Adobe Acrobat dialog where I have a Save a Copy button and a Cancel button.

This warning message appears when I manually try to crop the document by using the Document -> Crop Pages option from Adobe Acrobat.

As I was originally asking:

Does anyone know how I can programmatically get around this problem via JavaScript? Can  I disable "extended features" via JavaScript? Can I do some sort of  save or export or something that will strip it out?

I have 320 documents I need to crop. I really don't want to have to manually Save a Copy for each document.

Thank you very much!