8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 12:19 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders

colorrot

Whenever I import an photoshop PSD file I've created that contains several folders organizing layers into After Effects, all the folders are lost in After Effects. AE just lumps all the layers into one folder and now I have to recreate all the folders in AfterEffects to keep them organized.

This did not happen previous to CS5.5. Why would they make this change? It makes no sense, yet I don't see anyone else complaing about it.

What's the deal, am I missing some setting somewhere? I can't seem to figure this out for the life of me.

• 1. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure I follow you. When importing a PSD or an AI file as a comp AE has always put all of the layers in a folder that shares the name of the PSD you've imported. Here's a screenshot from CS5 and CS5.5 beside each other. Same file imported, same file structure, same names.

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 6.57.08 PM.png

They look pretty much the same to me. The only difference is the search bar at the top of the Project window in 5.5. It extends all the way across the Project Panel. All 9 layers and the Group 1 pre-comp inside the folder with the same name as the PSD file.

I'd love to see a screenshot of what you're seeing.

• 2. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Make sure to import everything as a composition. there have been no changes on that end otehrwise as far as I'm aware, but of course you could still be seeing a bug, so re-check your steps. Also check your PS file whether it uses some specific combination of layer groups, smart objects, adjustment layers or something that may cause AE to not interpret it correctly...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
              AE just lumps all the layers into one folder

Not exactly. AE creates subcomps out of Ps subfolders, which names match the names of Ps subfolders:

AE. Ps file with subfolders-1.jpg

AE. Ps file with subfolders-2.jpg
              But it doesn't obviously recreate Ps file structure.

The same for both CS5 and CS5.5

UPD: Slightly updated the screenshots.
              1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
                colorrot Level 1

I guess my question is, instead of or in addition to having a composition that contains everything in a PS folder, is there a way to have the nesting of folders in the project library (like photoshop does)? When you have a PSD file that is organized with folders (which is often useful for animation), you lose that organization in After Effects. As pointed out, not entirely lost since AE turns the folders into comps which contain all the layers but its not as convient and useful as having the nested layers in the project library. Imagine having folders within folders, it's just easier to access what you want in the way photoshop nests things.

I also believe it was in CS4 that After Effects worked this way.

Here are my examples if this wasn't clear earlier

In Photoshop
                Same File Imported into After Effects

PS_folders.jpg

AE_noFolders.jpg
                • 5. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I also believe it was in CS4 that After Effects worked this way.

I'd be curious to see your screenshot of After Effects CS4 behaving differently.

If you want to request a change in behavior, please submit a feature request.

• 6. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The thing you are calling folders in Photoshop are "Groups" not folders. Layer Groups have always been imported as compositions. These Nested or Pre-comps are added to the main composition in the proper order. They always have been. Always. The layers have always been imported with their layer names. If you open up one of these Nested comps you'll see the layers as arranged in the Photoshop Layer structure. IOW, open the Circles Comp and you'll see Shape 2, Shape 1, and Shape 3 just as they are in the Photoshop Layers panel.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to ReArrange the footage layers inside the "folder test Layers" folder. For me it's easier to find a layer if I'm looking alphabetically instead of trying to remember the order of layers from the PSD. The order of elements in the Project window has nothing to do with the way a composition is arranged. Opening the "folder test" composition would reveal a Background layer at the bottom, then the Circles, Squares and Triangles pre-comps. If you need access to the layers in these comps, just double click the nested comp and a new timeline and comp window will open up so you can manipulate the layers.

I hope this helps. If you can get CS4 to open up a PSD as a composition and end up with a different folder structure I'd love to see it.

• 7. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As the otehrs already pointed out, AE has never behaved any different. the hierarchy in the project window bears no relation to anything that happens inside the compositions and that is what you do when importing PSDs as comps - you import their stacking order and thus the result of the layer blending operations to retain appearance and positioning. I'm not even sure what the rationale would be if AE tried to re-create the PSD structure in the project window, given that you can re-use any element as many times as you like....

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Importing Photoshop PSD with all Subfolders
                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                        colorrot wrote:
                        ...instead of or in addition to having a composition that contains everything in a PS folder...
                        Yeah, I'd rather have tree hierarchy...

Rick wrote:
                        For me it's easier to find a layer if I'm looking alphabetically instead of trying to remember the order of layers from the PSD
                        Tastes differ.

Ps file layers structure hardly ever has no logic. As for me, it's simplier to find 'nail' being inside of 'thumb', which is inside of 'palm' etc.